19

i wake up early in the morning to the smell of turkey cooking and pies making.

a huge smile grows on my face as i jump out of bed to get ready for my day. i brush my teeth, tame my wild hair then go into my bags i brought to find what i'm going to wear today.

it's my first ever real thanksgiving and i'm so excited. i pull out a pair of black skinny jeans, and a burnt orange coloured cardigan. i put that on and but on a pair of my black shoes.

i skip out of my bedroom and head to the kitchen to see nan moving around, preparing everything for supper tonight.

"nan, do you need any help?" i ask before entering the kitchen and standing out of the way.

"sure honey!! you can help make a pie" she smiles before getting out a rounded pan for the pie crust that she already made.

"how many pies are you making? there are already three sitting on the counter" i laugh while walking to the counter and putting my hair up so i'm ready to work

"well, you know how chris will eat almost anything, but scott only likes apple pie, and grandpa likes pumpkin, and the cousins like pecan. so it's better to just make all kinds so everyone has a choice" she smiles before handing me the directions and letting me get to work.

i make the pie crust, then place it into the round dish. then i start of the filling. i finish filling the pie and nan helps me push the pie into the oven so it can cook and get ready.

"good morning girl" dad announces as we walks into the kitchen to give his mom a kiss on the cheek. he then bends down to kiss the top of my head before messing up my hair from the ponytail on the back of my head

"was that really necessary?" i ask giving him the death stair and he just smiles goofily.

"chris, go wake up your brother! it's already 11:30 and people are coming over around 3 and i need your boys help with stuff setting up." nan saying looking up from the food she was making

"ma, scott's a big boy. he can get up by himself" chris whines before getting shooed out of the kitchen causing me to laugh at his whiny behaviour.

after 20 minutes chris comes walking back to the kitchen with a tired scott following behind him. scott had tired eyes, messy hair and he is still in his pyjamas while chris on the other hand is wearing a black button up shirt with a pair of dress pants. nothing fancy but acceptable for tonight.

"can i go take dodger for a walk?" i ask chris as i notice dodger walk into the kitchen with his ears up as he heard the word 'walk'.

"of course you can. just be careful and don't go to far. don't be out for to long. you have to help nan mom too" he kisses my forehead as i walk of out the kitchen to go get dodgers blue leash.

i find it in my bag that sits on top of my bed. i pull it out and attach it around the dogs collar before we talk out of my room and to the front door. "i'll be back soon" i shout before exiting the house and walking down the driveway

"where do you think you are going?" i hear grandpa shout from the garage so i turn around to face him cutting up some fire food for the wooden stove in the house.

"i'm just taking dodger for a walk. i'll be back soon" i give a smile before leaving the driveway and starting out walk in the nature.

i sit at on of the small park benches i found that looks out to a small lake. we walked for 30 minutes up and down trails until i found this gorgeous place.

me and dodger both sit next to each other on the bench just looking out at the beautiful lake. i decided to pull out my phone and text dad so he doesn't get worried

rue: i am okay but i'm going to be out for a little longer. me and dodger found a small park and it's a while away. :)
delivered at 12:15

chris: okay darling, be safe and don't be to much longer. remember people are coming over at 3:00 but knowing my family it will be around 2:00
delivered at 12:20

rue: okay!! i'll see you soon
delivered at 12:23

i put my phone back in my pocket and take a deep breath, enjoying the fresh air. dodger jumps up from beside me to go get a stick to play with. he manages to find the largest one in the whole entire park to play with but he looks happy so i can't help but laugh.

we stay at the part for about another 30 minutes before i decide to start walking back because it's already 1 and it's a thirty minute walk back and i don't want to be late.