8

the rest of the day is filled with chris sending me on the huge scavenger hunt to find the rest of my presents. he got me a pair of converse shoes, a boston baseball cap and a pair of really nice sunglasses. lisa, got me a few sweaters and jackets and scott got me an air horn to scare chris.

we went out for supper at this pizza place chris said was really good and it actually was. we introduced dodger to his family and scott loves him. i played with the dog outside after supper for a while and now we are finishing the day off around a camp fire.

chris is sitting next to me as he pulls out an envelope and hands it to me. "now before you open it, i want you to know that everything is 100% your choice okay? you don't need to do anything you don't want to" he says cautiously.

i inspect the envelope before looking at him "your scaring me" i smile

"okay don't be scared honey! just open it" lisa says and i look up and smile

i open the envelope and pull out a page of paper full with writing. my eyes scan the page until i read the top, making my heart drop

adoption forms for ruby green johnson

i can't help but drop the envelope and bury my head in my hands as i feel the tears start to come on. i hear chris shuffle next to me until i feel his body infront of mine pulling me into a tight warm hug.

i rest my hands that hold my head ontop of his shoulder and continue to cry as he tries to calm me down by rubbing my back.

"i can't tell if this is a good thing or bad thing" chris whispers to me and i let out a small laugh

"you really want to adopted me?" i hiccup unto his shoulder.

"that's the plan" he says and i nod and pull away so he can see my smile.

he whips my tears away before pulling me back into a hug, and i can't help my wrap my hands around his neck with the biggest smile on my face.

"welcome to the family kiddo" scott places a hand on my back and pats it. i laugh more as me and chris separate and he rubs away the tears from my face.

"oh come give me a hug" i see lisa get up off her chair and make her way around the camp fire to where me and chris are sitting. chris helps me get up and i go around giving everyone hugs and some tears are shed.

after about 20 minutes minutes of hugging and crying we all decided to go in and rest in the living room.

me and chris decide to sit on the couch, lisa and robert sit in really big padded chairs and scott it's in the loveseat that's beside the couch.

we talk and talk and i can feel my eyes growing heavy so i decide to lay down on the couch with my head in chris' lap. he pulls a blanket over me and places a hand onto of my head and starts gently playing with my hair. within seconds i'm fast asleep.

chris pov:

i look down at rue and see that she's fast asleep in my lap and i can't help but smile. i could have never imagined a month ago that this is where i'd be today but i c
ouldn't be happier, i honestly couldn't.

"i'm proud of you chris" i hear my mom say making me look up and see them all looking at me with warm faces and big smiles

"make sure you take good care of this girl son, it looks like she needs you" my dad says and i just nod.

we continue talking for another hour or so before i say goodnight to my family and carry rue out of the living room and into the spare bedroom that she has claimed.

i set her down on the bed as i hear dodger push open the door and jump on the bed next to the girl. he gets comfortable in the corner before curling up and going to sleep.

i go to let go of rue but she lets out a tiny whine in her sleep and tightens her grip around my shirt. i open her hand so she lets go of my shirt, i walk over to the door and shut it and make my way back over to her bed. i lay down beside her and pull her into my side before falling asleep myself with my new dog and my kid.