1

Standing on the very edge of the bridge I can't help but wonder what brought me here. Well I know what brought me here, I just don't understand how my life got so messed up.

As I stare down at the freezing cold rushing water below me I start thinking back to every part of my life that I felt truly happy and to be honest, I could probably count all the events on one hand.

I feel the rain start to poor out of the sky and the wind pushing me away from the edge. My hands are struggling to hold onto the railing behind me as for it is freezing cold and the railing is metal and it's getting wet from the rain which is making my hands slid around.

I close my eyes taking in a big breath of the cold winter air and soaking in my last few minutes on this planet. Would anyone miss me? I mean probably not, my parents didn't want me and my foster 'mom' hates me and never fails to tell me. She won't let me go to school and the only time I leave the house is when i can sneak out.

Just as I'm about to let go and jump into the ice cold water I hear a car pull up behind me and I can hear the car door slam behind me.

"Hey!" i hear a mans voice come from behind me.

"what are you doing up there" he continues with a concerned voice.

"I don't think I belong here anymore" I say with no emotion keeping my eyes on the river below me.

"what do you mean darling? Come on down and we can talk about this" he walks closer to me, and I can feel his presence right behind me now.

I go to turn around to face him but my foot slips on the bridge and he grabs me pulling me against the railing.

"Here grab my hand" he says offering the hand that's attached to my ripped flannel. I grab it and he helps me over the edge until I'm safely on the other end of the railing.

I could have done it, I wasn't scared. Was I? I mean i did stand there for about an hour just silent but I just needed time to think.  Was I actually gonna jump this time?

By this time my whole body head to toe is soaked from the freezing cold rain and i can't control my shivering.

"Come on, i've got a warm coat in my car. you need to warm up before you get sick" he says leading me with his to her car.

We both hop in and he turns up the heat, warming my body up slowly. he turns to reach in the back seat and he pulls out a giant jacket and wraps it around my shoulders, he then turns on the radio just enough that the sound echos throughout the car.

"Where do you live? I'm taking you home" he says and my heart stops. I look at him with a worried expression as my

"I can't go back! Please don't take me there" I say tears starting to form in my eyes.

he looks at my face for a while taking in my worried and terrified expression. "how old are you darling?"

"i'm 11" my small voice croaks

"Okay" is all he says.

we sit in silence for about 10 minutes until he looks back at me, letting out a sigh before speaking again "i need to know where to take you so i know you are safe"

i stay quiet not wanting to go back to that house. it's already past curfew and i just know it's better to just not show up and sneak in during the middle of the night.

"alright let's try this, what's your name?" he asks quietly

"ruby but everyone calls me rue" i whisper

"well i'm chris" he puts his hand out for me to shake.

i reach my hand out hesitantly and place it in his to shake it. i quickly pull my hand back and tuck then under my legs.

"please i can't go back there" i whisper

"why not rue?" he looks at me with sad eyes hoping i will open up

"it's terrible there. it's old and dirty and we don't get food and she doesn't let us do anything and she's so mean and i can't do this anymore" I bury my head in my hands as i try and control my shaky breaths

all of a sudden the car starts moving and i shoot my head up to look at the man

"where are we going?" i ask in panic

"i'm going to take you to my house, you can sleep on the couch and get warmed up okay?" he says and i just nod staying in silence.