10

we both walk into the house, chris carrying all the bags as usual and i walk over to the couch and sit down. dodger follows behind me and lays ontop of my legs as we wait for chris to enter the room again.

chris puts our bags in our rooms then he walks in and sits infront of me on the coffee table. "are you sure you are ready to talk about it?"

"yes chris i'm good" i chuckle. "what do you want to know, i can try and tell you everything"

he thinks for a second before making eye contact with me. "how did you end up at the foster home?"

"uh, from what i remember my parents dropped me off at the fire station when i was 6 because they "had enough of me"" i put my fingers up in quotations

"why do you think they did that?" he then asks

"well my parents wanted a boy, so i guess when i was born they were really disappointed. they tried to act like i was a boy growing up but i guess it got to hard or something when i got older and they had enough and just didn't want me anymore" i sigh "i never considered them my mom and dad, and same with mary, they were people i just lived with. i don't think i was meant to have a mom or dad" i tear rolls down my cheek.

chris moves dodger off my lap before picking me up and places me on his lap, wrapping me into a huge hug. "i'm so sorry you had to go through that sweetheart."

we stay in the embrace for a long time. my eyes become heavy and i let myself drift off into a sleep, still in his embrace.

"rue" i hear chris say as i sit up from the couch i'm assuming he moved me to after i fell asleep.

"mhm?"

"you gotta get ready okay? we have to go to an appointment" he says before leaving. i get up and walk to my room to get changed. i put on a pair of black leggings and a light blue hoodie.

i walk out of the bedroom only to be picked up my chris and thrown over his shoulder. i laugh and he walks to the front door and out to the car.

he puts me in the passenger seat before hoping in next to me and he starts driving.

"what's the appointment?" i finally ask seeing as he's in such a good mood

"well, it's with social services. all they need is a few signatures then your stuck with me!" he says with a huge smile and i can just feel my face light up

"it's really happening?" i say in disbelief

"it's really happening darling" he says pulling into a big parking lot that stands infront of a huge 6 story building.

he wastes no time jumping out of the car and making his way over to my side of the car and carrying me out of the car.

we both laugh as we make our way into the building and waiting for only a few seconds before a lady in a pencil skirt calls chris name making a few people stare at him.

he puts his hand out infront of me for me to hold onto to "ready rue?"

i smile grabbing his hand right before nodding and making our way to the office the woman stands infront of.

"so mr. evans, you are looking to adopt ruby johnson am i correct?" the lady says making her way to the other side of the big dest that sits in the middle of the room.

me and chris sit in both of the chairs on the other side and chris nods. "yes that's correct"

"okay and ruby, you want to be adopted by mr. evans?" she says looking at me and i smile.

"more then anything" i nod

"okay, so i'm just going to need you both so sign some paper work to confirm this adoption then you guys are good to go. now, would you like to change your last name ruby?" she says looking at me and i look at chris

"can i?" i ask chris and he smiles

"if that's what you want then i say change your name" he gives me a small wink and i look back at the lady and nod.

"okay then! i'll give you guys some time to go through all this paper work." she hands chris a big stack of paper work "and i'll be back in a few. good luck!" she gives a warm smile before walking out of the room and closing the door behind her.

i watch as chris makes his way through the paper work very fast and every once and a while handing me a page to sign. i can't help but laugh at our teamwork.

after about 20 minutes of signing my hand feels like it's going to break but we finally finish and the lady walks in with a warm smile seeing the paper work all done

"perfect, right you are free to go" she says making her way back to her desk. "here's the paper work you need to keep mr. evans but other then that i hope you two have a great life."

"thank you so much" i say with a huge smile as i jump out of my seat and take chris hand back in mine.