THIRTY: History

Our pack spends at least 60% of their life in wolf form and we share a diet between real food and animals. 

Our family has been leaders of this land for over 5 wolf generations which equals to around 1500 years. Our average life span is around 300 years. 

Our pack holds a moon light ball to celebrate every new year. 

Our pack has alliances with a few vampire clans, witch covens and mermaid coves. 

Our pack is ranked as the strongest, oldest and most primitive pack of the north region.   

There are 516 wolves in our pack split into 2 of the 5 regions of our land. One region is for Kai, one is the pack house and the other is for us.

I flicked through yet another book that held the history of my species with Caleb's word ringing through my head. 

Our pack... Our family... Us...

I shook my head slightly as I tried to focus on the words in front of me. 

I had read over the title around 13 times but couldn't bring myself to read past it.

'History of Mates' 

My pack was so incredibly different to this one. I hardly knew about any of the real history of our kind. I knew the very basics about shifting and connecting to my wolf. I knew almost nothing about mates, just the stories my mum would tell me about her and dad. 

"You've been staring at that page for a while, do you need something clarified?" Caleb asked from his seat. 

"Uh," I trailed off, my cheeks burning red. 

 "You can ask me anything." He closed the book he was reading and straitened up in his seat. 

"Well," I bit my lip nervously "I wanted to learn a little about this..." I slowly handed him the book, the page still open on the desired chapter. 

Caleb slowly read the title and sighed deeply. 

"I can read it for myself another time though" I leant forward and reached out to grab the book out of his hands but he pulled it back and leant into his chair. 

"I don't mind explaining it to you." He shrugged, as he let the book rest open on his chest. 

"What do you want to know first?" he asked, eyebrows raised. 

A lump formed in my throat as butterflies erupted in my stomach. 

What did I want to know first?! 

"How does the moon goddess choose who should be mates?" I asked quietly as I rested back into my chair, legs crossed. 

"It's said that when a wolf is born, she senses an aura from them and then when she finds another wolf with that same aura she bonds their souls together."

"How does she bond their souls though?" I asked confused. 

"Think of it like an invisible string, you are always connected, always destined to meet and when you finally meet, you cant pull away from each other." he was answering every question without even glancing at the book on his chest. 

"Is that why we got sick when we were apart? Because the string was too tight?" 

"In a way yes but that was mainly our wolves fighting against our physical human side in a way to weaken us so they could take over and meet again." he answered with a shrug.