SIXTEEN: To Be Continued

My pulse was deafening in my ears as my nerves grew.

I didn't know how Caleb was going to react when he saw me.

I didn't know how I was going to react when I saw him.

I clung my clamp hands ingot he container Auntie has given me as I made my ways through the forrest and to the lake.

"You don't even know her side of the story! You've never given her a chance, what makes you think she will give you a chance?" I could hear Kai's angry voice break through the silence.

"I don't know Kai!" Caleb sounded exhausted as he sighed heavily "I don't know what to think or how to feel or what to do! I'm just trying to figure this all out!" He added a low growl.

I continued to make my way to the brothers, container in hand and head held high.

Kai began to reply but the discussion was cut short briefly as Caleb shh'd him and said "I can smell her" under his breath.

I took in a deep breath and blew the hair that had fallen onto my face out of the way.

Once I escaped the cover of the trees, the view of the beautiful lake and the gorgeous Storm brothers filled my view.

I let out a deep breath as I stopped a few paces away from them both.

Kai was leant against a tree close to the water line, while Caleb, was stood on top of a large rock that was in the water.

I looked towards Kai as he sent me a warm smile and jogged over to me.

I let out a relaxed laugh as he engulfed me into a large hug.

It felt nice to relax in his embrace that I found myself missing.

"Hey Soph" he whispered lowly in my ear as he squeezed me tighter.

"Hey Kai" I replied with a small smile as we parted from our embrace.

Kai turned to look back at his brother who I assumed was brooding about us hugging.

To my surprise though... he looked pained, upset almost.

"I think I should speak to him alone" I told Kai as he nodded at me in understanding and made his way back through the trees.

I hope he knows his way back.

I turned back to Caleb who had made his way closer to me. Still keeping a few paces distance between us.

"Sophia... I don't really know what to say" he began with his head hung low.

"Then don't... don't say anything, just listen" I replied with as much strength as I could in my voice.

"I need you to know that I didn't ask for any of this. I haven't plotted anything and I definitely haven't deceived or tricked anyone into anything... unlike someone I know" I whispered the last part, although I knew he would of heard it. "Its not my place to explain to you why we are connected in the way we are but we need to figure out a way to either break the connection or live with this so that we are both healthy and happy. I obviously have no choice but to live with the fact that you are happily in love and mated to Ruby and although at this very moment it is incredibly hard for me to watch you both together, I will do it. I respect the fact that you have chosen her and I refuse to be the reason a bond like that is broken." I paused for a moment to collect my thoughts and suck up some bravery for my next words. "But... I also refuse to be disrespected and treated like trash. I refuse to be made to feel like the bad guy when I'm trying so hard to respect everyone and everything that is happening, so I ask for some respect in return. There will be no more hostility and there will be no more flirtatious behaviour. We will figure out a way to keep us both from suffering the way we did after we first met but I am not going to live my life being cooped up away from my family for your benefit alone. I am important too." I clenched my fists tightly as I tried to keep my emotions in check.

I didn't want to unleash the truth I had just found out about Ruby in this moment just yet. Although she has been nothing but cruel to me, I couldn't find it in myself to be the reason he looks at her differently.

Caleb didn't say anything at first, he just swayed from foot to foot, I hoped processing my words.

I started to grow nervous as he began to growl lowly and pace in a small circle.

He looked as though he was having an internal battle with himself.

"F*ck" he cursed over and over as he started to grip on his hair.

"I'm such a d*ck. I just can't even begin to comprehend the way I've treated you these past couple of months" he replied as he crouched down and turned his back to me.

I was taken back by what he said. I expected to be yelled at, criticised for speaking my mind and demanding respect from an Alphas son.

"I am truly ashamed of the way I've treated you Sophia." He quickly turned around and took steps towards me "I am so incredibly sorry, I will never be able to forgive myself for what I've put you through. I know I've gone from hot to cold and I have made you feel like you are nothing... but you are actually everything... I think... no I now know, you are my mate." He reached out to take a hold of my cheek but I quickly took a few steps back.

"You can't keep doing this. You can't keep choosing who you want whenever you want. You are mated to Ruby. You chose Ruby." I spat back with anger in my eyes.

"I was tricked by Ruby! She is the mastermind behind all of this!" He snapped back, growling lowly.

He knew?!

Had Eric already told him?

"How... what do you mean?" I asked confused as he began pacing again.

"I always thought it was you that had been the one to somehow trick me into feeling this way. I was so caught up in trying to ignore my connection to you that I didn't realise my connection to Ruby was fading. Ruby and I have been mated for two years and each time we... we were intimate... she would always want me to remark her, hence why it always looked fresh... ever since meeting you, well we weren't ever intimate so I never re marked her and over time, it faded... as did my connection to her." He looked heartbroken as he looked to the ground and clenched his eyes shut.

I couldn't believe what he had just told me.

He knew he wasn't really mates with Ruby...
He knew she tricked him...
He knew we were mates...

I couldn't comprehend what was going until I was in his embrace. He sobbed quietly into my shoulder.

I knew I didn't need to say anything, he was heartbroken.

Heartbroken because of Ruby... Heartbroken because of the way he treated me...

He just needed to be held.

We stayed like that for what felt like a lifetime until he finally pulled away, staring into my eyes deeply.

He placed his forehead onto mine as sparks warmed my body.

We both just stared into each other's eyes until we heard the clearing of a throat...

"Sorry guys I really didn't want to interrupt but... I didn't know how to get back and... I ate all of the pancakes..." Kai spoke up, holding up an empty container.

I burst out laughing as Caleb growled lowly and rolled his eyes at his brother.

"To be continued..." he whispered to me as he walked towards his brother and pulled him into a head lock.

Yes Mr Storm... To be continued...