THIRTEEN: Bliss

Caleb's POV

"We have to go after her!" Kai rambled for the fifth time.

"For the last time, she will be fine!" I replied back as I rolled my eyes and flayed out on the couch.

'you know that's not true'  the voice in my head whined and pulled at my heart strings.

"I think you are just saying that to try and convince yourself that its true" he roughly rubbed his face out of frustration as I played with the hem of my shirt.

She will be fine.

She will be fine.

She will be fine.

"Caleb, you don't know her, I do" I locked yes with him, anger filling me as he spoke "her wolf is so weak, she hasn't been allowed to be in her wolf form for years and years, she's gonna die out there!" He had begun to pace back and forth.

I twitched in my spot as worry began to build within me.

"What do you mean she hasn't been allowed to be in wolf form for years?" I asked, confusion filling me.

"Her old pack never let anyone shift. They were forced to stay in there human forms and received public punishments if they were caught shifting" he answered as he shot daggers at me with his eyes.

I shook my head and let out a gruff cough, trying to push away the feelings that started to build up.

"Well... What am I suppose to do? I can't drop everything and go looking for her! What would Ruby think? I can't just chase after her no matter how much it's killing me not to!" I screamed. anger boiling within me.

I stood from my spot and started to pace through the room. Low growls filling the silence around us.

"wait, you want to go find her?" He asked, confused.

"obviously I do, its clear that we are connected and my wolf goes crazy at the thought of harm coming to her, I just...how would I explain this to Ruby? I cant, so I'm not going after her!"now it was my time to throw my head in my hands.

"Caleb, she could die" Kai took a seat next to me and rested a hand on my back.

"Someone needs to do something and father wants it to be you" His voice was full of worry.

I really wanted to be the one to go after her... to be her knight in shinning armour... to protect her... but I cant just throw Ruby away like that.

Ruby is my mate.

End of story.

"Look, if you don't go after her, I will" Kai abruptly stood up, anger filling his voice. He made his way to the door "she has been gone for 2 days Caleb, she wont survive much longer, who knows if shes even still alive!" he added as he gripped the door and practically threw it open.

"you will not take her from me!" I called out as I launched myself at my older brother.

We both fell to the ground in a mess of flying fist and growls.

"what is going on here?!" I could hear Ruby call out from a distance.

I pinned Kai to the ground and whispered harshly in his ear "not a single word from you" and slowly stood to meet the worried eyes of my mate.

"Nothing Rubes, just a little brothers disagreement" I reached out to draped my arm over her shoulder as she looked between myself and Kai with a confused expression.