8| Fixed

Chapter 8: Fixed (River's POV)

She caught up to me on the stairs and we both entered the living room, taking our seats. She sat on her mother's right and I sat on my mother's left so both of us were sitting directly opposite each other. 

We started eating and then our parents started talking about the dates. "I was thinking, we should get them married at the end of the month. April is considered to be a good month for weddings," her father said. 

"That's a little early, isn't it? We're nearly halfway through the month anyhow," I said, glancing at her. 

"Do you have any other dates in mind?" he asked me. 

I tightened my grip on the fork and continued eating. 

"I think the last day of the month is best," he shrugged. 

"And for the engagement?" my dad asked. 

"We were thinking we should have the engagement done right away. That way the two of them can have some time between the engagement and wedding to know each other as a fiance would," my mom explained. 

"That sounds perfect. What do you both think?" her mother asked. 

"I think the wedding is a little early," we said in sync. She looked up at her parents. "But it's fine. I think the time in between should make up for that," she smiled. Seriously, why does she always cave in and listen to her dad? 

"Great. Let's have an engagement party this weekend. And River..." 

I turned to my mom.

"Do the proposal before that, hmm?" 

I nodded in response. 

"Oh, I didn't notice these. Brielle, I absolutely love your earrings. Where did you get those?" my mom gushed. 

I froze for more than a minute, I think. I even stopped chewing. 

I looked up at Brielle and saw her putting her fork down. She lifted her chin and looked right at me, amusement painted all over her face. "They were a gift," she answered. 

"From?" her mother asked. 

She chuckled, gesturing to me. "Yours truly. I will say, he told me that you asked him to buy something for me but... that seems like a lie," she smirked at me. 

I turned to my mom. "You did, didn't you?" 

She blinked, falling into thought. I shot her a pleading look and she chuckled, nodding. "I believe I did. But I left the choice up to him." 

I turned to Brielle, shooting her a smug look. 

She rolled her eyes at me, focusing on her food. 

After lunch ended, I knew our parents would chat for a while in the living area. "Great. It's fixed then," her father nodded while we all left the dining room. 

"It's all fixed," my dad laughed before turning to me. "Why don't you both go off? We'll talk about the arrangements for the engagement party until then." 

I turned to Brielle when our parents left. "You can take the box." 

"Is that your way of saying 'let's go to my room?' because it isn't a very good one. Lead the way," she snorted. 

I rolled my eyes and started walking, hearing her steady footsteps behind me. We walked into my room and I grabbed the box, tossing it to her. 

She caught it and then looked up at me. "Why did you lie?"