32| Devil

Chapter 32: Devil (River's POV)

I think I like her. Finally, I think I like her. I have yet to tell her that though because she might be asleep. It's nearly one in the morning. 

She rolled over, facing me now, and opened her eyes. 

"I thought you were sleeping," I laughed. 

"I can't sleep. What about you? What are you thinking of?" she asked, rolling onto her stomach and propping herself up on her elbows. 

"You." I pushed myself closer to her. "Naked," I whispered with a grin. 

She laughed, looking at the window and avoiding my gaze. "You're horny," she said bluntly. 

"I have been since our wedding night, thanks for asking," I scoffed. "Hey." I perked up. "Do you want to go for a swim?" 

"At one in the morning?" she asked. 

I nodded. 

"Sure, why not?" she shrugged. 

This is the girl I was once best friends with. The one who doesn't give a damn and does as she pleases. 

She turned her lamp on and then got out of bed, opening the closet and finding a bikini. "Change in the closet, I'm taking the bathroom," she said before going into the bathroom and closing the door behind her. 

I got out of bed and grabbed a pair of black swim trunks that had neon geon thin stripes on each side. Once I changed, I sat on the edge of the bed, waiting for her to come out. 

She came out with her hair tie between her teeth as she tied her hair. "Don't look at me," she said, her eyes locked with mine. 

"You can't stop me," I chuckled, letting my eyes trail all over her body. "Fuck me," I pleaded. 

"No," she laughed, shaking her head while pulling her flip-flops on. She went back into the bathroom and came back out with two towels, handing one to me. We got out and tiptoed downstairs. 

I unlocked the backdoor, closing it behind me and we walked to the pool which was lit up and covered. I pressed the button and removed the plastic, automatic covers before making the lights brighter. 

She took my towel for me and put them both on the sun loungers nearby and then kicked her flip-flops off there. "Is it cold?" she asked while I used the steps and walked into the water. 

"Not really. You'll be fine." I waited for her while she walked over to the stairs and lowered herself into the water. 

"It is cold."

"Only a little," I chuckled, taking her hand and pulling her further into the water. 

She can still stand here. 

"You want to go deeper?" I asked, already pulling her with me. She pushed forward and grabbed onto my shoulders, putting her arms around my neck. I grabbed her waist and when her feet couldn't touch the floor but mine could, I led us all the way to the deep end. I leaned against the wall, keeping her pressed against me. 

She looked down at the water. "I want to take a dip." I let her go and pulled away a little before standing beside me. "I'll take a lap. Care to join?" she asked. 

"I'll watch." We both took a dip underwater at the same time but she swam over to the other end while I stayed here, watching her. 

She swam back and stopped in front of me, holding onto me again. "You know, if we're not out of here by three, we're at risk."