20| Vows

Chapter 20: Vows (River's POV)

"Do you think we should have vows for the wedding?" I asked her. 

All of us are sitting in the living area right now, that's Brielle, my parents, and me. We're just talking about the wedding, the guest list, the menu, all that kind of stuff. 

"I don't know. If we had them, what would they be?" she shrugged. 

"Wedding vows don't have to be as long as people make them sometimes." We both turned to my mom. "It could be short and sweet, maybe only one line if you want." 

"It could?" we asked in sync. 

"What is a vow? It's a promise. Promises don't have to be lengthy letters," she shook her head. "It could just be a few words. Maybe you two should do that." 

"A wedding isn't a wedding without vows, come on now," my dad said. "Even if it's just one line." 

"Once you have them, just let us know what they are. We'll guide you with them," my mom added. 

What vows can I make to her? 

This isn't going to be easy because I'm not in love with her. My vows can't be fake and still have to be something that I will keep. 

After another twenty minutes of talking, I went upstairs to shower but Brielle stayed behind and talked to my mom. 

The whole time, I was thinking of what vows to make. "Why is this so difficult?" I asked myself, wrapping the towel around my waist before wiping the mirror with my hand. "I vow to... to what?" I groaned, taking my aftershave and putting it on. "I vow to... protect? No, I don't know," I huffed, opening the door and stepping out. She was sitting at the window seat. "Brielle." 

"Get dressed first," she said immediately, keeping her head that way and staring out the window. 

"But I need to ask you something," I sighed. 

"No, you get dressed first." She stood up and looked down at the ground, getting ready to leave. 

I walked over, blocking her way. Her head snapped up and she looked at my eyes. Only at my eyes. "Will you listen?" I stepped forward. 

She stepped back, almost stumbling. 

I smirked in amusement. I took another step forward and she went back, falling into the window seat again. I leaned down, putting my hands on the cushion so we were face to face. 

"What?" she mumbled, blinking. 

"I don't know what to write for my vows, what are you writing?" 

"I don't know yet, can't you just get dressed?" she huffed, turning around to look through the window. 

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the blinds, closing them. 

She closed her eyes and let out a breath, looking back at me. "Ask your dad, he'll help you. Your mom helped me." 

"Is that what you stayed behind to talk about?" 

She nodded. 

"What did you write?" 

"I'm not telling you, you'll find out at the wedding." She put her hands on my chest and pushed me back before standing up. "Get dressed." She walked around me, heading to leave but I grabbed her wrist and pulled her back, pushing her onto the window seat. 

"Relax, I'm going," I smirked, heading to my closet. I grabbed my clothes for the day and then went into the bathroom where I got dressed and then towel-dried my hair. I walked out and then grabbed a blue tie that matched her dress. "Hey."