35| Break

Chapter 35: Break (Brielle's POV)

I woke up pretty late in the morning, almost at noon. Yesterday was the same. I think there's finally a routine in my life. I wake up to River's pretty face, we head down for breakfast, after that he goes and works for a few hours while I do something or the other to entertain myself. Sometimes I watch movies, sometimes I go out to the backyard. Then he's all mine for the rest of the day. But not today. Today he's going out for work. 

"Bri." 

I groaned, rolling over in bed. "Hmm?" I rubbed my eyes open. 

"I'm heading out. You already missed breakfast, make sure to eat something for lunch, okay? I'll be back maybe a little after lunch." 

"Okay," I sighed, nodding my head. 

He leaned down and kissed my cheek. "Bye." 

"Bye." I waved after him. Then I got up, took a shower, got dressed, and then went downstairs for lunch. 

"Good morning to you," his dad laughed as I took my seat. 

"Morning," I chuckled sheepishly before sitting down. 

"River isn't back yet?" his mom asked, glancing at the clock. It's one. 

"He said he'll be back a little after lunch," I said, pouring water into my glass. 

"Then won't he eat?" she frowned. 

"Oh, I'm sure he'll stop for lunch somewhere with Jack," his dad replied, waving a dismissive hand. "Were you up late last night? I heard the backdoor opening." 

"We went swimming," I replied, nodding slightly. 

The rest of the time we just talked, they mostly talked and I just listened, actually. After lunch ended, I went back up to our room. I walked over to the desk which had some of the papers from his study scattered all around it. I grabbed all of them and sorted through them, putting a paperclip on each buddle and then stacking them up. 

My phone, which was also plugged into charging right there, lit up with a message. I blinked in confusion. Nobody ever messages anyone, who the hell is texting me then? I grabbed it, unlocking it, and opening the message. 

It's from an unknown number. They're photographs. 

I tapped each and every one to download them and then scrolled back to the top to see the first one. It's pictures of River with another man. I'm assuming that's Jack since they're talking and pointing into the distance. That's what the first two pictures were. And then there was another girl right there. River's back was to the camera in the next picture, but her face was perfectly in shot. 

It was Bethany. 

I am so confused. Who even sent these? 

I opened the next picture and my breath instantly left my lungs. They kissed. Bethany and River kissed. 

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"Brielle, honey... I really think you should wait until he gets back," Ms. Jenny sighed. 

"I really don't think I should," I scoffed, wiping my cheeks with the back of my hand and zipping up the suitcase. 

"Where are you going to go? Back to your parents? Let me come with you." 

"No, you have to stay here. Please, don't ask to come with me. And I'm not going back to my parents." I sniffled, pulling the suitcase onto the floor. "I spoke to Alia. She said I can stay with her for a few nights."