15| Protecting

Chapter 15: Protecting (Brielle's POV)

Right now, we're just sitting around, mingling with people. There's nothing else that's happening at this party. Most people here are drunk or at least tipsy and I don't even have that choice because there is no chance in hell that I will get drunk in front of my father. He might actually kill me. 

Right now, I'm talking to Alia and some of the other girls. 

River is standing directly across from us with a group of guys, but he keeps looking at me every few seconds. And it's freaking me out so I keep looking at him too. 

"So... you like horse riding?" Alia asked, looking weirdly at Bethany. 

I keep forgetting about her. But then I realized that if River would have approved of her, it would be her instead of me here tonight. 

"Yeah," she nodded, smiling. "Actually, my parents own this ranch up in..." 

I tuned out the rest of her words and my eyes met River's. He also seems to be ignoring whoever is talking to that group over there. 

I felt someone elbowing my ribs gently and I looked to Alia who was the culprit. "You keep staring at him, why don't you just go?" she whispered, smiling at me. 

"What?" I frowned in confusion. 

"River," she mumbled. "You keep staring at him." 

"Because he keeps staring at me. It's weird." 

"Why is it weird? He's your fiance, he's in love with you, isn't he?" she chuckled. 

I laughed awkwardly, looking back at him. He said something to Atlas, grabbing his shoulder before excusing himself and making his way over to me. 

"Oh, oh, oh, he's coming," Alia whispered hastily. 

"I can see that," I replied. 

He broke into the circle, taking the spot the girls happily gave to him. "Ladies," he nodded. 

"Hi, River," everyone sang in sync. 

Alia and I looked at each other then at the girls. 

What the fuck? 

He chuckled, leaning forward and grabbing my hand. "Excuse us, please." 

Someone squealed, someone whispered, someone laughed. And I ignored it all and let him lead me away. 

"I need to talk to you," he said, keeping his voice down as we passed my parents and went inside. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, both of us sitting on the two-seater we exchanged the rings on. 

"When will you move in?" he questioned, shrugging his coat off, leaving it on the armrest. 

I blinked. "Is that what you pulled me aside for?" 

"Yes." 

"God, you just aren't letting that go. Why do you want me to move in so badly?" 

He looked at me in disbelief. "Are you seriously asking me that? Again, Brielle?" 

"It's not how it works, River. I'm meant to move in after the wedding, not before it." 

"First of all, there is no such rule, okay? People live together before even getting engaged all the time. Second of all, why are you going back on it now? We both know the longer you're there, the more dangerous it is." 

"You say 'dangerous' like he's going to kill me." 

"Brielle." 

I stared at him blankly. "I'm not moving into the palace before the wedding."