38| Exchange

Chapter 38: Exchange (River's POV)

I put my head down on the table. I've been waiting at this stupid cafe for nearly an hour and I swear to god if Ezra decides to make me wait longer only to tell me that he isn't coming, I'm going to kill somebody. I groaned, drumming my fingers against the table. 

"What the hell happened to you?" I looked up as he took a seat in front of me. 

"What happened to me? You're an entire hour late." I glanced at my watch. "An hour and fifteen minutes, actually." 

He shrugged, "I was busy. Why do you want to see me?" 

"You were busy? With Bethany?" 

He fidgeted with his earlobe while shifting in his seat. "You wanted to see me, what is it?" 

"Do you know where Bethany was yesterday between noon and two o'clock?" 

"No, because I don't spy on my fiance." 

I rolled my eyes. "She showed up at my work." 

He blinked in confusion. "Why would she do that?" 

I pulled out my phone and opened Brielle's texts. Aside from me sending numerous texts begging her to answer my calls, she sent me all the pictures. No other message though. I opened the pictures and put my phone on the table, sliding it over to him. 

"You called me here to look at pictures of you working?" 

"Will you shut up and look at all of them?" 

He huffed and kept swiping. "Why is Bethany there?" 

"Didn't I just tell you two seconds ago that she showed up at my work?" 

His brows furrowed in confusion and he swiped to the last one. "What is this?" 

"What does it look like?" 

"Are you here to tell me you kissed my fiance?" 

"No, I'm here to tell you your fiance kissed me. Why else would she show up at my work?" 

"She kissed you?" 

I nodded. 

"And why should I believe you?" 

"You don't have to. But let me tell you how to figure out the truth. Show her these and ask her. Even if it's just for five minutes, don't think of her as the girl you're about to marry. Just... interrogate her." 

"Are you hearing yourself?" he scoffed. 

"I know it doesn't sound good but you have to do it. And you have to tell me what she says." 

"Why?" 

"Because I know someone told her to do that but I need to confirm who it is, I can't just accuse that person without her confirmation." 

He slid my phone back to me. "I'm about to marry her, you want me to risk ruining it?" 

"What if she cheats on you? You know she's hit on me before, right? She hit on me during my fucking reception party." 

He frowned, staring at the table. 

"I'm sure you'll work it out with her." 

Even though he probably shouldn't because he deserves better. "What do you mean?" he sighed. 

"I mean someone sent these pictures to Brielle the second it happened. That's why I know it was a set-up." 

"Just tell her the truth. She'll believe you."