Chapter Three - New Power

Chapter 3

New Power

Like Mommy promised, I got to go back to Grandpa's. I was so happy that I giggled with anticipation all the way there. Grandpa brought his fishing pole out and gave me a lesson on how to bait it and cast it. After that, Mommy cooked Grandpa supper. He missed her cooking a lot. I tried a little bit of fried catfish from grandpa's last fishing trip and french fries. It tasted alright.

Daddy laughed at me when I first took a whiff of it because I squished up my nose.

"You will never know if you like it or not if you don't try it Nessie," Daddy told me.

He was right like always. I guess I would have liked the french fries if they were made out of meat. Daddy laughed again at my implication and had to tell Mommy what it was that he found funny.

I sat next to Grandpa, almost all the way into his lap, while he watched a game. I didn't mind. I was just happy that Mommy and Daddy weren't rushing me off. I curled into Grandpa's side and he held me with one arm. The other he had to have free to drink his 'vitamin r'. Daddy snickered.

I was content and relaxed; so much so that I eventually drifted to sleep. I assumed that was their plan, to wait until I fell asleep before taking me home so I wouldn't throw a fit to stay.

I woke in my own bed back at Mommy and Daddy's cottage. I sighed and stared out my window at the stars. The stars gave a rare appearance and I was happy to have caught them. They were very beautiful. I kind of wanted to go outside and play under their beautiful twinkle but I was sure Mommy and Daddy wouldn't let me.

Daddy didn't even bother to come in, knowing I was awake. I wondered why because he always did once he heard my thoughts; knowing I was awake. I decided to climb out of bed and see what they were doing.

As soon as I opened my door, Daddy was there, then Mommy shortly after. "What is it sweetheart?" Daddy asked.

"I was just wondering what you were doing."

"Oh, well, we were just visiting," my Mommy said in a weird tone.

I yawned, shrugged my shoulders, and went back to bed. My curiosity didn't last long so sleep finally won.

I had been spending so much time with Grandpa that one afternoon after going on our third fishing trip; Jacob was at Grandmaw and Grandpaw's house waiting.

He looked disappointed as he sat on the porch with his arms crossed tightly across his chest. Daddy laughed as he pulled into the garage.

Mommy looked at Jacob; Daddy just shook his head and rolled his eyes. Mommy snickered. Jacob met us in the garage as we were about to enter the big house.

"Jacob," Daddy acknowledged him with nod.

"Hi guys, haven't seen you all around lately. What's been going on?" Jacob tried to sound nonchalant.

Daddy smiled knowingly.

"Grandpa took me fishing!" I announced excitedly. "I caught a fish this big," I showed Jacob with a two-foot gap between my hands.

"That big huh? Thats great Nessie!" Jacob smiled proudly at me.

I walked up to him and grabbed his hand. "Come on Jacob, let's go inside." I pulled him along.

Everyone was home and I was glad. I hadn't seen much of them either. Aunt Rosalie picked me up and swirled me around in a very fast spin.

Jacob looked angrily at Aunt Rosalie. I wanted to know why. So once she put me down I went over to where he sat and touched his cheek. I showed him how he looked when she picked me up and asked him why. He just looked into my eyes, like he was searching for something. I looked back into his, searching for my own answer.