Chapter 25 - Happy Birthday To Me

The morning after the bon-fire,  I slowly pulled my self out bed while wiping my sleepy eyes. I didn't hear Mom or Dad in or around the house so I figured they must have left already.

I washed my face before dressing into the pre-selected outfit Aunt Alice and I picked out for today. (She mainly had the say in it.) I was just happy it wasn't a dress.

I ran to the main house and as I neared, I heard loud thoughts and voices that were suddenly hushed as they heard my arrival.

I took in all their different degrees of expressions; they had been talking about me. I just knew it.

"Sorry I am late," I apologized while still trying to read into their minds.

Uncle Emmet came running out the back door with his loud guffaws and shouted over to me, "Late for your own Birthday. Shame on you!"

"Okay, Uncle Em," I smiled and blushed.

I continued into the house to say good morning to everyone.

Grandma Esme held on to me for the longest time but it seemed everyone hugged me a little longer today then they usually did.

I heard the significance of this day in their thoughts but I hoped it would not overcast my party.

After telling everyone good morning, Mom called me. She waved for me to follow her out back and before following her I sighed to my self.

I had a feeling what this might be about and then with Aunt Alice's thoughts, my suspicions were confirmed. Mom and Dad found out about the conversation Aya and I had about the painful addition to my gifts.

In Aunt Alice thoughts she begged me for forgiveness but I cut her off with my own thoughts. It wasn't her fault. She can't block her thoughts from my Dad like I can and when she has a spontaneous vision she can't help where it happens and it just so happened that my Mom and Dad were nearing the main house when the vision of me in great pain while receiving my last gifts from Aya began. 

I now faced my parents as we stood near the river. I wasn't as scared as I thought I would be, instead I was strong and collected.

Everyone already knew what Aya told me and already knew of my decision. They just wanted me to help show them Aunt Alice's vision of me receiving these powers from Aya.

They didn't quit understand how a spirit could give me gifts. Heck, I didn't even understand it.  

As we all watched the vision, my Mom squeezed my hand as she saw a ghostly Aya, finally visible for everyone to see, hold my hands.

Aya's aura grew bright and then as it literally began to flow into my body through our connected hands, Aya's aura began to fade. She herself even began to fade to where even I could barely see her. Just before Aya disappears fully she smiles at me and says, 'Thank you'. 

Just like my vision self crying, I began to cry right then, surrounded by my parents. Aya has been a part of life for many years and to realize very soon would be the last time I would ever see her made me upset. 

My Mom was scared for me but knowing the pain was extremely short helped to calm her and my Dad down.

They still didn't like the fact that I would endure, even the tiniest amount of pain but they understood why I would subject myself to it. All of these years they have been protecting me and now I needed to protect them. 

After they sighed with relief, and a little bit of defeat, they pulled me into a tight hug. They really didn't like thinking of me as an adult but with my thoughts I made sure they all knew, I wished they would.

We joined the rest of our family back inside and after waiting for a few more arrivals, we finally headed to the baseball field for my party.

I smiled with delight as I took in the beautiful scene that I was now surrounded in.

Finally, after all these years they got my favorite color right.

Alice had made a wonderful cascading tent out of purple twinkle lights and I absolutely loved it. I would have to keep some for my room when the party was over.

As soon as I found Jacob, standing near his Dad by a huge tray of finger foods, he picked me up and hugged me tight.

I loved it when he hugged me this way. I always felt if he would hug me even tighter we would eventually fuse together as one.

I sighed once he put me back on my feet  and then we were abruptly interrupted as Mom and Dad ushered everyone in closer to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me.

I knew, if I had my way that is, this would be the last big birthday party I ever had.

At the end of the birthday song, Leah and Nahuel's twins finished with 'and you smell like one too'. I wonder who taught them that version of the song as I eyed Uncle Emmet suspiciously.

He didn't dare look my way as he held back a sneaky grin. His huge smile soon broke through and even his laughter. I shook my head at him and just smiled. I couldn't be angry at him.

I loved the fact that this year my cake wasn't multi tiered. I had grown tired of the monster cakes Aunt Alice had ordered in the past.

This year Grandmaw made my cake and I was thrilled. She made a huge flat sheet that she personally decorated brilliantly in purple and white with a pearl outline.

I began to open the gifts from all my friends and family as they watched. I blushed deeply as I yawned several times.

Uncle Emmet laughed until Dad threw Grandmaw's punch bowl, full of punch, at his head.

He had to miss me opening the rest of my gifts as he ran home to change. I suspected he had thought something that Dad didn't appreciate. I didn't hear anything, I was distracted.

I was just happy that I convinced Aunt Alice to only bring out one present from each of them, so they wouldn't embarrass me or take up too much time.

When I got to Jacob's present, I looked up to his beaming smile. He was breathtakingly handsome.

In that moment I found myself hoping that, inside my present from him was an engagement ring.

After I finally had it opened I had to hold my smile up when all I wanted was to allow the frown I wore inside, shine outside as well.

The weight on each side of my lips weighed even heavier as if trying to push my lips down into the saddest frown ever, but I kept the smile.

I had to hold back tears too and as I hugged him, thanking him for the beautiful charm to go along with the others he made for me, my breath caught. I had to pretend it was another yawn and let myself finish the yawn as he kissed my cheek.

As the evening grew dark, Jacob had me on the dance floor. We danced for what seemed a millennia and still I didn't have enough.

I rested my tired head on his shoulder as he led me around the dance floor that was now congested with my friends and family.

But everything seemed to disappear except for Jacob and I. He held me in his sure, strong arms and I held him as tight as I could while wishing it were more. I didn't want the night to end and Jacob's thoughts were wishing the same.

I smiled to myself in bliss.