Chapter 19 - MONSTERS

Chapter 19

MONSTERS

The tribes that we offered our kills to, knew something was not natural with our family but most took the meat offered and thanked us repeatedly. Others were wary and I heard in their thoughts that after we left they were burning the meat out of fear of bad omens or of poison or curses.

I asked Daddy why they were so scared but he just said some people are like that after being hurt by someone before and therefore do not trust anyone, especially outsiders.

After roaming Africa and seeing amazing things for nine days, I was getting tired and a little home sick. I was ready for a nice stroll along First Beach with Jacob or run through the forest which I realize is a lot darker than the wilds of Africa.

On a hunt for supper on our ninth day, we ran across a scent of vampires. It was fresh and Daddy wanted us to leave the area immediately but as we made a wide arc away from the trail, we came across them.

Terry and Lina Shelton were incessant honeymooners or at least that is what Aunt Rosalie's thoughts said they were.

I giggled a lot because Aunt Rose was somehow jealous she and Emmet weren't like that any longer when in truth they were. Terry and Lina Shelton were just a happy go lucky couple.

A little too happy, Daddy thought to himself.

Daddy guessed right away that Terry had the power to know what other vampire's powers were just from a tiny slip of Terry's thoughts.

Terry knew everything we each could do but there was something else, something that he and Lina were hiding. With his power he could tell what powers we had from miles away and were a little too curious about the large group of vampires roaming the area together.

Daddy told Carlisle that we needed to stick around them for a few days so he could see if they think about whatever they were hiding. Something wasn't right about those two. Something was off and even Grandpaw Carlisle found them to be odd.

They had red eyes so they feed on humans but there was something else that was bugging Daddy about them. I was having too much fun with Jacob to even notice.

We finished our hunt while Terry and Lina took a few hours alone to hunt their way. We chatted about vampire politics and our travels but after three days Daddy still had no clue as to why those two felt so odd or what they were hiding so he suggested we stay a little longer.

I was beginning to complain just a little every now and then but then Jacob or Uncle Emmet would find something fun for me to do or get into.

Lina and Terry weren't very forth coming about much of their human life and only told us a few personal things about themselves.

They have been vampires for thirty years and Terry turned Lina. They were in love as humans but when Terry was turned he went back for her.

While they went off to hunt late one night, Daddy and Mommy decided to have some time alone and hunt too.

I was yawning and rubbing my eyes so Grandmaw Esme suggested I climb into the tent and rest. I went grudgingly but listened in to the quiet hum of the camp as I laid there fighting my eyes to stay open.

Not too far away from my tent I heard Jacob ask Uncle Jasper, "Still can't figure out what they are hiding?"

"No and they are definitely hiding something. I could feel that Lina was harboring some ill feelings towards us at times. I agree with Edward, there is definitely something not right about those two," he explained.

"You really think it's something we should know or worry about?" Aunt Alice speculated. "I'm sure if it were something I would have had a vision and I haven't, so I wish you all would stop worrying so much."