Chapter Nine - A Conning Smile

Chapter Nine

A Conning Smile

Christmas approached and I had to do my Christmas shopping online. Daddy still didn't want me out where someone could see me and then see me again in a year. I sighed with a very dramatic and defeated look.

I was distancing myself from Daddy lately and often blocking him from reading my mind.

I helped Grandpa Charlie put up his Christmas tree, even though he really needed a brand new one, and hung up the decorations. I fell asleep in his lap waiting for Mommy and Daddy to pick me up but when I woke in the middle of the night I was in my Mommy's old bedroom.

I wondered why they hadn't picked me up yet. I wandered into Grandpa's bedroom and he was sprawled across his bed lightly snoring. I sighed. I didn't want to wake him so I headed downstairs to the kitchen where the phone was. Mommy and Daddy didn't leave me a cell so I had to use Grandpa's ancient telephone.

"Renesmee," I heard Mommy speak.

"Where are you? Why didn't you and Daddy pick me up? Is everything ok?" I was on overdrive with worry.

"Yes, everything is fine. We just thought you wanted to stay there tonight," Mommy supposed. But I heard something in her voice but couldn't make out what it was. "We will be there in the morning sweetheart, before Grandpa goes to work. Go back to bed and get some sleep."

"I'm thirsty Mommy."

"Um, well, honey I'm sorry. Daddy and I can take you in the morning to feed. Find something there at Grandpa's for now to tie you over."

"Why can't you come take me now?" I yawned into the phone.

"You're tired Renesmee and besides, I don't want Charlie waking up and finding you gone. It would give him a heart attack. Now, find something there or go on back to bed," Mommy spoke more sternly.

I was beginning to get suspicious now. I said goodbye and hung up the phone. Grandpa didn't have much in his fridge and Mommy should have known that. I crossed my arms around my chest and huffed my way back up stairs.

Grandpa tried making me pancakes for breakfast but that wasn't what I was craving. Even Grandpa began to smell delicious. Where were my parents?

A loud pounding knock sounded from the front door. Grandpa looked to me and shrugged his shoulders because he didn't think that was my parents either. Sure enough it wasn't.

"Hi Charlie," Jacob boomed loudly as he came in. "Hi Ness," he waved towards me.

"Hey Jacob, where is Bella and Edward?" Grandpa asked with a little suspicion of his own.

"They are busy this morning and asked me to come over and ask you if I can watch Ness here at your house for them," he asked Charlie with a suspicious nod and wink.

Hmm; I thought to myself. They actually think I don't know something is up. I tried listening to Jacob's mind for any clues as to what was going on but he gave me nothing. Before he noticed, I had dialed Charlie's ancient telephone again and called my parents.

"Renesmee," my Mommy answered.

"Why is Jacob here and why haven't you come to pick me up? I am thirsty Mama. Please, I'm ready to come home," I begged. I didn't like being kept in the dark about things and I was really hungry.

"Renesmee, please stay with Jacob at Grandpa's. Your Daddy and I are working on something and will be busy for a while. I am sorry sweetie but please," Mommy tried pleading with me.

"Then tell me what's going on," I pouted.

"Nothing is going on. Daddy and I are spending some time together. Is that all right?" She had a short pause after she said Daddy and I and I assumed she thought I wouldn't catch that but I did.