Chapter Sixteen - The Beginning of Change

Chapter Sixteen

The Beginning of Change

The plans were laid out and everyone was ready. Grandma Renee decided.

Grandpaw set Daddy's old room up as the transformation room with a bed, syringes filled with venom and morphine.

Since Grandma Renee's Will was already made out for sudden death, the cremation would be simple but Grandpaw would have to take Grandma's body to the hospital after her change, and after she hunted, to have proof of her death. He would have her delivered straight to the morgue and have his colleague examine her.

He would then tell them he promised the family he would take care of the rest and Grandma would come home while Grandpaw collected some left over ashes.

Grandma even picked out her own Urn already and I asked Mommy why she thought that was fun. Mommy didn't know.

Since we weren't going to invite Jacob or any of the other pack to the memorial, Alice saw that everything was going to go smoothly and no one would suspect a thing. Although she did tell us it will be very sad.

Grandpa Charlie was shocked at the news of Renee's diagnosis and decision to become a vampire. He was quiet about it although I heard his concerns.

The day of Grandma's change behan, Grandmaw Esme cooked her all sorts of goodies. Uncle Emmet smarted off saying it was like she was on death row eating her last meal.

No one had to yell at him because I gave him a lung full. I apologized immediately after my tirade but he had it coming. Of' course it didn't bother him none and he just laughed it off.

Daddy wanted me to be kept at the cottage during Grandma's change but I told him I already seen bits and pieces of what was to happen through a few of Aunt Alice's vision's so he let me stay. I had to stay down stairs though.

Jacob came over to keep me company and try to distract me but I was concentrating on seeing things through Grandpaw's eyes as he worked.

Grandma kissed everyone before going up stairs and Grandpaw had her lay onto the bed. Grandmaw Esme accompanied Grandpaw while Mommy and Daddy went along to support Grandma.

They gave her a shot of morphine first and waited a good ten minutes to let it circulate. Then, they gave her a venom filled shot straight into her heart.

Her body and mind was dull from the morphine but the venom ravaged her like she was burning alive.

Mommy, Daddy and Grandmaw Esme had to hold her down while Grandpaw continued to bite Grandma in as many locations as possible to give her more venom.

She began to thrash and scream as the venom circulated throughout her body. Searing every human cell as it burned its way to her change. I covered my ears and looked to Jacob with tears forming in my eyes.

'Renesmee, tell Jacob to take you to his house sweet heart. That is why I wanted you to stay at the cottage. I love you my stubborn daughter.' Daddy thought to me then told Mommy he said I could leave.

Jacob held me in his arms while I kept my ears covered. I still heard her screams as he sprinted towards his house. When I finally could no longer hear her pleas to die I was so relieved that I hugged Jacob for at least five minutes. Clinging to his neck for everything I had.

"Thank you Jacob," I whispered into his ear.

"Are you ok now?"

"Much. I knew that was going to happen but I guess I didn't figure it being so scary."

Jacob chuckled at me softly as we neared his house. Billy was there and I ran inside and hugged his neck.

"Well, nice to see you too Renesmee! What do I owe this wonderful surprise?" he wiped an escaped tear on my cheek.

"She needed to get away from the house for a little while," Jacob told Billy.

"What's wrong Nessie? Why have you been crying?" Billy asked me as I climbed out of his lap.

"I thought I could handle being around while Grandma... as she... changed," I whispered.

"Oh," he whispered then looked up to Jacob. "That's tonight?"

"Yes. I told you that already Dad," Jacob grinned then looked into the fridge. "Has Paul been here again?" he groaned his question out.

"Yea, I think he and Rachel were here earlier. Sorry kid," Billy sighed

"I guess Ness and I will run to the store. Do you need anything?" Jacob asked him as he shut the fridge door.

"Please, something for dinner would be nice."

"Ok Dad. We'll be back," Jacob patted his pockets then. "Dang Ness, we forgot a cell."

"If anyone calls, I'll call the store to let you know," Billy said.

"Alright, we'll be back," Jacob held out his hand and I took it. He drove his rabbit car to the store and even let me hold the steering wheel a few times.

He picked up a few things and three cheeseburgers with three fries for him and Billy. Two of them were just for Jacob alone. He offered me some but I shook my head vigorously. Jacob laughed and we got the food back to his place before Billy's burger got cold.

Jacob ate both of his burgers and the fries before we even made it half way back and it wasn't even that far from his house.

I laughed at Jacob once I saw he had a huge spot of mayonnaise hanging from his chin. I wouldn't tell him what I was laughing at either until Billy saw it.

With me still laughing and Billy now chuckling he finally realized he must have something on his face. He smeared the mayo as he tried to find it which made Billy and I laugh even harder. Jacob grabbed a dish towel and cleaned his face.

"Ha. Ha. You two," he mocked us from his embarrassment.

After Billy was done eating we played cards. I think Jacob got a little upset that I didn't want to play with him by ourselves. I liked playing cards with Billy. He wasn't a sore loser like Uncle Emmet.

I was having fun. Jacob didn't give Billy that much credit for being fun to hang around. I found him interestingly fun.

A few hours later I got a nice surprise. Grandpa Charlie drove up to Billy's. I was so excited that I ran straight to him knocking him back towards and into the car door.

"Well hello Ness," he chuckled as he recovered his step.

"Hi Grandpa! What are you doing here?" I said excitedly.

"Well, I heard you were here and your Mom asked me to bring you some clothes," he smiled.

"Clothes," I was confused.

"Yes, when I called your house to see how things were going, your Mom told me you were here instead and asked if I could bring you some clothes so you can stay the night while they'rere busy," he explained and I could see the slight awkwardness in his smile as he mentioned calling Mommy.

I was happy I was going to stay the night at Jacob's for the first time but curious as to why I wasn't going to stay the night at Grandpa's instead. "Why am I not staying the night with you Grandpa?"

"Because I have to go back into work," he kissed my forehead and opened the door to his cruiser. "I have to try and find someone who has been breaking into homes in the middle of the night." 

"But, can't Uncle Emmet or Uncle Jasper help you catch him?"

"No Ness, it's my job. Now, you go back inside and have fun whooping Billy in cards," he snickered.

"I heard that Charlie Swan," Billy shouted out to Grandpa. "At least I still catch the largest fish! When are we going fishing again?" Billy asked Grandpa as he wheeled himself out on to the small porch.

"As soon as I can catch this darn burglar Billy. I'll see you all later," he finally waved as he climbed back in the car.

I pouted out my lip but smiled anyway and waved as he pulled away.

"Well, I guess I am sleeping on the lumpy couch," Jacob said out loud.

I giggled at his comment as Billy hummed 'uh huh'.