42 | I'M IN GEEK PARADISE, I MIGHT CRY

Click ⭐ to vote

════════════════════════

Iris

The clock strikes twelve and Cinderella fights her way through all the obstacles to retrieve her broken glass slippers, herself because she doesn't have any Prince Charming.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY IRIS!"

"Go away!"

Some birthday music blasts in my room and I groan, putting my head into one pillow and keeping one over my head. Damn these people to wake me up from such a dream.

"GERONIMO!" I hear two voices and I feel a sudden force on my body. Even though it is not that much but it is enough to wake up people.

I want to curse all of those astronomers who thought at twelve midnight, a new day starts. Can't it be every six in the morning, when I go jogging?

"Get. The. Hell. Off. My. Body!" I say to, obviously, Caleb and Colt. They are over me as I take out the top pillow I have. I know they have their fists raised, I move my legs so much that I have no idea about what of them I hitting and, thus, in the end, they fall.

Rubbing my eyes, I grumble, "I hate you both."

"Eighteen but no changes," Dad says and I turn towards the door. He is leaning against the doorframe and holding the iPad which shows Daisy and Ava's faces, who are laughing and singing.

But my eyes fall only on the cupcakes which have lighted candles on them, Mom is holding on a plate.

"Cupcakes!" I gasp. "Gimme gimme gimme."

"I... hoped..." Caleb starts to groan while Colt gets up. I look between him and Caleb, questioningly, and he shrugs.

"An increased number would change Iris's beating up tendencies? Yeah, no." Ava's voice comes from the iPad and Caleb looks up shocked.

"I agree," Daisy says, laughing.

"Is she—Ava?" Caleb mouths to Dad and Dad nods, shrugging. Caleb clears his throat, fixes his shirt, and stands up. He looks at Ava. "Hello, Ava."

"No. No. No. How many times do I have to tell you, Caleb? Not my best friend!" Daisy glares at Caleb but he ignores her and gives Ava a wink.

Ava's eyes widen and Daisy pushes her off the view. "Okay, Ava. Off to sleep. Your boyfriend will be—"

Caleb takes the iPad in his hands. "Boyfriend? When did you get—"

"Happy Birthday, Iris!" Colt says loudly and they stop talking. Dad and Mom just laugh as they sit beside me and Colt turn on the family camera.

"Many many happiest returns of the day, Iry!" Dad says, hugging me tightly.

"Happy birthday, hon." Mom joins the hug and kisses my forehead, before giving me the plate with eighteen candles on eighteen cupcakes. "Come on, blow the candles."

"No, first make a wish," Caleb says and Colt rolls his eyes.

"Nothing happens from that, Iris. Remember I wished for a toy helicopter for Christmas but instead, I got a toy car," Colt says to me and gives me the expression, 'don't fall for it.

"Ya and remember in middle school, I wished Danny would—" Daisy stops, looking at Dad's questioning expression. "Story for later! Happy birthday, Doraemi!"

Rolling my eyes, I say, "Who needs wishes when I have cupcakes!"

With that, I blow all the candles and take one cupcake, starting to eat it when a hand pushes it up on my face. Now, I realize not all of them are cupcakes – some of them are... just cream.