08 | HAVE AN INTERDIMENSIONAL ROMANCE

Click ⭐ to vote

════════════════════════

Iris

Opening my eyes, I find myself under a white cloudy sky and lay over the soft green grass. I sit upright, finding the fogs all over the place. It is lighted up but I can feel no sunlight.

"Iris," I freeze at the mature voice.

As I slowly turn to confirm my doubt, the scene changes, and I am here in a hospital room, sitting and looking at my Grandpa.

He is smiling like himself as he ruffles my hair. He laughs, looking at me. His laughter is like chocolate cake with caramel poured on it. Then, all of a sudden everything stops. Everything just stops. The ticking of the second hand of the clock stops. The beeping of the machines stops. His breathing count stops.

'Grandpa! Grandpa! Wake up! Don't leave me. I love you, Grandpa. Don't leave me. Take me away. Take me away.' I try to say but nothing comes out of my mouth.

I move towards him and shake him vigorously in an attempt so that he snaps out of this phase and tells me that this was a prank. But, no, his watery chocolate brown eyes are just looking up, without blinking.

Ignoring all of my pleas, he is going. He isn't waking up but I still shake him, try to tell him that I love him and he is breaking a promise.

'Don't break the promise, Dada. Don't break—'

Someone pulls me away from him, so fast that I can't feel Grandpa's green dirty gown under my fingers. I kick, punch, elbow, and whatnot but the person doesn't leave me.

I can still see Grandpa, though. He is still there without any air or any working heart but he is there.

Suddenly, people wearing black cape surround me, holding big injections in their hands. I want to go away from those big guns but they are just closing on me like they want to hurt me, pierce me in pieces and make holes in me.

To make it worse, Grandpa's soul lifts off from his body and goes up.

'Take them away! Take those away from me! Grandpa! Come back! Needles—take them away. Sa—'

"Iris, Iris, Iris!" I hear someone say.

'You are hurting me. Take those damn needles away! Away from me—ah!'

Someone coos, as sudden warmth, engulfs me," Iris, wake up. No needles, honey, wake up."

I open my eyes to find myself in my Dad's arms as Mom rubs my shoulder with worry written all over her face. I dig myself in Dad's warmth as I start to cry, profusely.

"The...there were nee—needles. I—" I stutter.

"Shh, honey. It is all over, now. It is all over," Mom says, hugging me and Dad but I can hear her ragged breathing.

*** 

Some giggling from back brings me back to the present as I try not to think much about anything from yesterday.

Right now, I am sitting in the library reading The da Vinci Code, trying to blank out all the thoughts of today's happenings and focusing on Robert Langdon but, no, my brain must replay the little eye contact between me and Noah this morning.

When his amber eyes had slid to mine, there was a flicker of something... something like he cared.

I scoff, internally, at the thought.