16 | ARE WE PLAYING SOMETHING?

Click ⭐ to vote

════════════════════════

Iris

Fourteen hours, thirty-nine minutes, and twenty seconds left.

For two nights, I had tried to sleep but I could not—I just could not. I had kept on turning and turning for two hours and five minutes until I decided to do something productive.

Dance, eat and study.

But, obviously, that didn't help my appearance or my mood today, especially after finding out it has rained and it is freezing out here. Not to forget, it is wet everywhere.

I must not slip.

I should not slip.

I slip.

"I am totally fine," I say to myself, balancing my footsteps, and open my locker. "I am fine."

"But you look not good."

I am really trying to be awake as I take out my notes for AP physics which is the only class without any of my friends. I hold back my discomfort as I turn to look at Thomas.

"Thomas?" I ask, turning back to my locker.

"Iris," He says, and then, his eyes look at my appearance. "What's wrong?"

"Existence of human feelings," I say without any emotions.

"That's quite philosophical."

"That's the truth." I breathe out, trying to be normal. I look at him, again, and ask, "Your mom okay, now?"

He looks confused for a second and then, (I tend to think) he remembers. "My Mom is perfectly fine—I mean she is stable, now."

I nod at his answer. "Glad to know." I look at the calendar in my locker and sigh.

I have missed today's morning soccer practice as I went to the dance studio for practice which also didn't lift my mood. If the teacher is not present, you can't put on the song—who made that rule?

"Hey, Iris?" Thomas snaps his fingers in front of me. "I asked you something."

"And I don't wanna answer you," I say, keeping the notes in my bag and close the locker.

In the corner of my eyes, I see him, rolling his eyes. "Iris, what class do you have, right now?"

"AP physics," I say, automatically. I tie up my hair, properly, and quickly start to move forward.

"Cool, I will drop you over there."

"If you drop me, I will make sure you won't be able to walk," I say, walking towards my class. "Look, I have to go. Don't want to be late. You go to your class."

"I am going to my class. It is AP Physics."

I stop and turn towards him. "Don't joke with me, you don't—"

"I have an AP subject and I am taking physics. Now, may I ask a question?" he looks at me, raising my eyebrow.

I turn again to move towards the class. "You may not."

He sighs, again, and moves with me. "What is it going to take for you to skip this class with me?"

"I am not going to skip..." I stumble a bit but I don't fall. "...this class."

"You are stubborn."

"Whatever."

"Iri—"

"No, Thomas. I am not going to skip any of my classes," I say, entering the class.