❆Second Chance (02)

~J A C K S O N~

THE WEEKEND ROLLED OUT SOMEWHAT FINELY. I find myself peering at the reflector. Today I'm going to try and impress Lily so that she sees how much I really changed. I knew that she was inferring to my looks when she told me I changed but now, I want her to see me as a new hardworking individual and not the boastful jerk I was back in high school.

My skinny denim jeans rest just above my ankle as I take a step forward. Testing my blue t-shirt that hugs my physique. I leave my brown hair to rest on top of my head as I grab my belongings and stroll to the kitchen.

I grab my coat, scarf, gloves, and beanie hat, covering myself in all warmth.

Shoving my wallet and keys in my pocket, I open the fridge and peer around for something that would fill me until noon. There is nothing that would fill me so I just grab myself a creamy bagel and pour myself a cup of coffee.

Austin soon after strolls into the kitchen, wearing his usual black suit. He throws his coat on before wrapping his scarf around his neck.

Living with a lawyer can be hard work because come on, they are always trying to give you deductions about something you already know about. Well, sometimes.

Before we can start a conversation, I grab my coffee from the counter and stalk to the living room. Unfortunately, Austin follows with a fresh cup of coffee in his hand while he uses his other hand to fix his tie around his neck.

"Stop trying to avoid me, Jack," Austin warns, setting his coffee on the coffee table right in front of the flat-screen TV.

I roll my eyes, glancing at him. "Stop trying to bother me, Austin."

"I swear, one of these days you won't have a video game partner. Remember bro, I rock." He grabs his cup, gulping down a good portion of the coffee.

"I have Theodore to play games with me," I carelessly shrug.

"He's only seven years old!" Austin protests.

"So? No one said playing video games had an age restriction."

"Actually, it depends on the game!"

"Exactly, we don't play horror or violencey games!" I raise my voice.

"Violencey is not a word." He points out.

"It is, it's my word," I groan at our minor argument.

"Gee, it's cold!" Austin complains, changing the topic and sampling his coffee.

Checking the time, I strut to my feet, "I have to go, try not to speak the judge's ear off."

Though I know he needs to.

"I definitely will try!" Austin yells after me and I laugh.

He is almost the best lawyer in Quebec City and unfortunately, he has an enemy. And it's a girl who I'm sure he will fall in love with because that is what happens these days.

Canada's snow has me shivering a lot and a large number of times I bit my tongue has me foul-mouthing myself of the weather.

Luckily, the weather is not as nasty as last year. We had to close the store for the whole holiday because of how terrible the snow was falling and everyone was advised to stay inside.

Our Christmas was not wrecked but everybody wanted to play in the snow either the kids with their parents, loved ones, and their large bellies.

Arriving at the bookstore, I instantly make a move to my office. As quick as a heartbeat, or rather as quick as a baby crawling from one end to another, I close my office door and sit down on my dad's seat.