❆Second Chance (13)

~L I L Y~

"THAT WAS THE BEST! Oh my goodness, thank you so much for taking me there!"

I cannot contain my excitement right now. As we make out way to Jack's car, I make a mental note to do something for him. He is taking me out and here I am, just thanking him. I need to do some Christmas shopping, maybe I'll get him a present.

There was an explosion in my brain. . . like the good sort. . . the type that carries more possibilities than I could ever be conscious of... but there were hundreds of ideas there in that buzz of electricity. . . I could feel it. It was the calling card of adventure, of paths awaiting Jack and I's feet.

Whatever was ahead could be an exciting challenge, and there could be tears, but it was my adventure to take and so I drag on a smile. The ideas would come, maybe when I least expect it, so I lace my black boots and take a step. I grasp Jack's hand in mine.

I, of course, do not miss how he tightens his hold on my hand as we march to his car parked a few spaces down. My heart beats like thunder and I'm sure Jack can hear it too.

"What are we doing next?" I ask, swinging our hands like a child would do when walking in the park with her mother.

"First, we are going to Maison Smith because their hot chocolate is amazing! Trust me." Jack smirks, lacing our fingers.

I try to ignore the way the butterflies in my stomach start flapping around. But I can't. My whole being heats up, even in this cold weather.

I don't know how many times I am going to say this, but Jack is not the same Jack from high school and somehow, I am starting to fall for this new Jackson.

Why else does my body heat up when he touches me? Why can I not stop smiling when he looks at me? I have so many questions and the only answer that I can find is that, whether it be just a little crush, I am falling for Jackson Stone.

When we finally make it to the car, I silently whimper when Jack's hand disappears from mine. I am glad he does not hear it though. My hand feels cold and unrealistic. If only I had Jack's hand on mine again. . .

✎✎✎

"The hot chocolate is way better than I expected. I thought it's warm water with added cocoa! There is something inside here that makes it so much better." I tribute, slowly walking with Jack to the car.

When I glance up at him, he has a smirk on his features. "I mean. . . I did say it was the best hot chocolate I know!"

"You weren't wrong about that!" I sigh in content, my lips meeting the foaming mug with every satisfying sip I take. "What do we do next?"

"I want us to take a walk at Jacques-Cartier National Park just thirty minutes north."

Nodding, we finally make it to his car. Maison Smith was packed when we got there. The road has cars parked in front of buildings and houses they aren't even visiting. Instead, they are bundled up in Maison Smith.

"So. . .I was wondering. . ." Jack trails as we walk up the snowy hill. It had been almost a fifteen-minute walk so far.

"Go on. . ." I encourage, smiling at the ground.

"Christmas is in at least five weeks and I was just wondering who you'll be spending Christmas with?" Jack chuckles sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.

I giggle, "I'm spending it with my sister and her husband. Oh and do not forget Rose!"

"Oh, I definitely did not!" Jack laughs, adjusting his scarf around his neck. "Every year, we have Christmas at my house or Moms. The whole family, actually. Austin and his parents, Linda and her boyfriend, my parents-well parent right now-and Theo than we have a few relatives who can make it. I was wondering if you'd like to have Christmas with us this year. It's going to be a tiny bit empty seeing as my dad is no longer here and Austin's parents can't make it."