❆Second Chance (17)

~J A C K S O N~

"GOOD MORNING! GOOD MORNING! GOOD MORNING!"

The whole morning, I have been in a good mood. I greeted every customer that made their appearance in the bookstore. I thanked them like there was no tomorrow to do so.

I was grateful.

For everything I had. For Linda. The bookstore. My family, my friends.

I was never one to be in such a good mood, especially in the mornings but you see, this chocolate brown haired girl had me wrapped around her fingers in ways I loved more than I was supposed to.

And then, you get this amazing news from Linda.

"You see the new bookstore down the road? VineHouse? Yeah, they made a lot more than we did in this month so far. And before you think I am trying to convince you into competing against them, I'm not. They offered a cheque to us to help feed the hungry children in the orphanage that was almost taken down a few months back." Linda said when I arrived in my office at nine in the morning.

My brows furrowed and even though I was extremely grateful, I didn't understand why they offered the money. And how did they know my dad used to use of the money the bookstore earned to sponsor the poorest orphanage.

"How did they-?" I questioned, strolling over to the seat beside Linda.

"The owner is a woman and we kind of clicked. I'm sorry I told her, but she was nice." Linda started playing with her fingers. A habit she picked up from my dad when he got nervous.

I smiled. "It's okay. So, when can I meet up with her? Or have you done everything?"

"She will be here before twelve."

And now, it is almost half past eleven which means Lily would arrive soon. With Alex. Whom I have come to see less of.

The bookstore is slightly packed, people seated on the ground or on cushions whilst reading books.

It reminds me of Zeke. A little.

He read at the adult section. Why? I don't know. But the kid has the brains of a child prodigy.

Sighing, I close my eyes.

I stand to my feet as quick as lightning when someone bursts into my office. That someone being Austin. What is he doing here?

"We need to have a talk!" Austin rushes, his hands tangled in his hair. He starts pacing my office and my brows pinch together in nervousness. "You're the only one I trust with something like this. It's huge man. My career was almost over. Fuck."

"Calm down, man. Tell me what's going on," I reason, sitting up straight.

"Okay, uh," he audibly gulps. "Do you remember Cassandra? My client I slept with. . . She came clean. I mean, she told Kennedy and-"

"Hold up, who's Kennedy?" I question.

"Kennedy is the b-"

I growl, stopping him from speaking and running a hand down my face. "Don't call her that, man. It's rude."

He sighs. "Sorry. Kennedy is the divorce attorney whom always has it against me."