❆Second Chance (22)

~L I L Y~

ONE WEEK AND A HALF.

It's been one week and a half since I have last spoken to Jackson and it's killing me from the inside out. I can't think straight. I haven't been able to look after myself appropriately, or that's what Mia believes.

My conversation with Mia about my judgment didn't turn out well. Let's just say she doesn't like my option and I haven't conversed with her ever since.

Why do I sound like it's been years since I last spoke to the people I love?

It hasn't, but it feels like it.

I can't bring my mind to think anymore. I miss Jack and even though the way he talked to me almost made me feel like he was wielding me, I knew it wasn't him. He was hurt and he was speaking anything that came to his mind.

Yet I can't stop the nagging in the back of my mind. The nagging tells me I overreacted by just stomping out of his office that day. It tormented me, to say the least.

A sigh escapes me as I drive to Wilson Ent. to meet my dad there. I don't why I am still calling him my dad, he is wrecking everything by just being in my life right now.

Yet, I'm still driving to his company.

My phone starts blaring from my cup holder and I grab it, searching the caller ID. Linda. Why would Linda be phoning me? We haven't spoken since the day I stormed out of Jack's office.

"Hello?" I answer, my nerves rising and the butterflies in my stomach going crazy.

I hear some ruffling and serene voices from the other side of the line and my brows crease. "Linda, are you there?"

Still, no answer, and I wonder if it's a butt dial but when the words start becoming clearer, I stay on the line saying nothing.

"Jack, you need to speak to her," I can hear Linda say, her voice sounding sluggish and strained, barely. "If you don't, you'll lose her."

"I already lost her, Linda. She's gone. She doesn't want anything to do with me!" Jack yells and I wonder if this call was made on the basis or if it's really a butt dial.

I hear Linda sigh, "that's not true, Jack and you know it."

"After she stormed out of my office, I knew I messed up! I came to my senses sometime after our minor argument and I saw how terrible I was to her." I can't help the tears that start flowing down my cheeks. My heart clenches at the thought of Jack hurting right now. "I shouldn't have said all that stuff to her. Now she knows I like her and I know she doesn't like me."

"It's okay, Jackson. It's been a few weeks since she started working at the bookstore and she might not be in love with you yet, but I know she fell for you. Really hard."

Linda is so right about that. I kept falling for Jack over and over until I couldn't keep it in anymore. I had to tell Linda and ask if what I was feeling was real. That I was not dreaming because it felt like a dream come true at the time. I feel so terrible right now.

"Her dad," Jack murmurs and I sit upright, ready to hear what he has to say. "He is a mani-"

The line is cut off and I start to panic. "Hello? Linda? Jack? Anyone?"

My dad is a what?

I grab my phone, in need of some consolation. From Linda, from anyone.

Call Jack.

My mind exhorts.

Watch the road.

My heart compels.