01. skull mask killer

CHAPTER ONE
( ! skull mask killer ! )

ANNIE MARKS WAS so fucking glad she had called in sick to work the night before

ANNIE MARKS WAS so fucking glad she had called in sick to work the night before. Of course, she hadn't been sick but, they didn't need know that.

"Shadyside, small-town America. But among locals, a history of horror has earned it another nickname, Killer Capital USA. And last night, tragedy struck again." Annie heard from the news reporter as she shoved an accidentally burnt bagel half into her mouth. She couldn't remake it, needing to save the last of the bagels only eating them one half at a time to save money.

It wasn't like her mom was much help. Annie had to buy just about everything if she didn't want to starve. Even 16 years later, her mother was still grieving the loss of her father. Annie knew her mom wished she would have just gone to camp instead of chickening out, maybe she could have saved the love of her life or maybe she could have died with him.

Annie didn't really care. Either she wouldn't be walking around that day or everything would have been the same, just with a male in the house and an actual mother. She couldn't think of the maybes like her mother tended to do.

"I'm here with Sheriff Nick Goode. Sheriff, what can you tell us?" The TV lady spoke again and Annie felt herself listening closer at the sound of a new voice. "Uh, there were seven victims, uh, ages, uh, 16 to 42. Uh, the perpetrator's also deceased." Annie finished her food and began the search for her falling apart backpack.

She'd been having to sew the straps back on often, but, money was tight and she expected with the murders at the mall she'd be needing a new job soon. "Why couldn't it have happened anywhere else. Of course the fucking place I work gets shut down."

"Shadyside sits just beside Sunnyvale, one of the safest and wealthiest communities in the country... What is it about Shadyside? How do we end this cycle of violence?" After that, Annie turned the TV off. She didn't need to hear them talk about how amazing Sunnyvale was while Shadyside continued to struggle.

Annie found the backpack, a satisfied smile falling on her lips as she threw on a random rock band t-shirt and some ripped black jeans. She grabbed her backpack and smirked when a honk came from outside.

Annie quickly left her house, locking the door behind herself and walking over to the passenger side seat of Kates car. Seeing Simon in said seat, Annie smirked when he rolled the window down. "Hey there, Annie."

Annie gave the boy a sarcastic smirk before ushering for him to move. "Back of the car, Simon." Simon got out quickly, listening to the girl. Before either could get in, he pulled her close and slammed his lips onto hers. Annie smirked in the kiss and felt she could hear Kate rolling her eyes.

"You both can do that at school with the rest of them, we are going to be late." Kate bossed, the couple in front of her pulling apart. "She could have died last night, Kate! Who knows how much longer she can escape her fate." Simon joked, hopping into the back.