04

CHAPTER FOUR ;
THE POOR

ACT ONE ;
NEW LAND, NEW LIFE

I placed my finger onto my chin and started to think

'have I heard that name?

It does sound familiar...'

"Possibly" I answered and he hummed in response, not shaken or confused and the unsure conclusion.

"It appears the Funeral Director has summoned us for some reason. I apologise traveller, but it seems you'll have to postpone your visit to the Jade Chamber for a little longer" The man said whilst standing up from his seat. The is when realised, he was most definitely the taller one in the picture considering how he towered over everyone. He then started to stride away and the traveller followed in suite.

I shrugged my shoulders and started to follow them letting them lead the way. The shorter blonde and his floating child friend thing turned to me with a bright smile and started to introduce themselves.

"I apologise on mine and Paimon's behalf if we said anything to offend you. I am Aether by the way! You are?"

'so he's one of those people?'

I inwardly groaned at his overly kind attitude but introduced myself nonetheless,

"I'm [Y/N] [L/N]."

The floating creature beside him started to nod vigorously and also introduced herself, "And don't forget Paimon!"

"The tall man in front of is Zhongli. You should avoid him when in town otherwise he'll drain your pockets for all they're worth" Aether stated in a way that I couldn't tell if he was being serious or not. I assumed he was being serious though since he whispered the whole thing.

"You're not much of a talker, are you?" Paimon asked and I just nodded slightly. Unfortunately, the made the tensions rise and everything started to become awkward.

"So... what do you do... for a living?" Aether smiled awkwardly whilst trying to make conversation.

"Kill demons" I replied shortly and they both looked at each other confused.

"Is she secretly an adeptus like Xiao or something?" The girl asked Aether and he shrugged whilst studying me like I couldn't see him.

"A what? Who?"

Paimon gasped at some kind of realisation, "Maybe she fought in the archon war and now can't find an recollection of anything! Poor [Y/N]!"

"What's an Archon?"

The two groaned in response to their unsuccessful attempts at trying to prove that I was some kind of Adeptus.

"What with exactly? I don't see a vision on you..." Aether trailed off an I sheathed my sword an showed it to him. The floating companion looked amazed, entranced even.

"It looks so cool and fancy! So polished and clean! Way better than the dull blade you use Aether!" Paimon continued to marvel at the sharp object as Aether ignored her rude comment about his trusty dull blade.

"I presume you're a master swordsman then?"

"Yes, I'm a part of the highest rank actually"

Paimon's fangirling came to an end and was soon replaced with disappointment, "This is isn't fair! Why can't Piamon have cool abilities or a nice sword?"

Aether carried on the conversation for while with asking random questions but little did he know I wasn't paying attention to much of it and instead replied with simple answers such as 'yes' and 'no'. Soon, time passed quickly and we had made it to the Funeral Parlor and the familiar deep voice interrupted (mostly) Aether and mines conversation.

"We're here"

══════════════════