Chapter 17: Reason

The rain kept pouring onto me as I searched for Ayanokõji. He took advantage of the distraction I set up. My footsteps were being engraved in the mud, leaving a trail behind. The route had ended in a steep, sheer slope. There were traces of the soil underneath that had collapsed. I carefully jumped, then rolled to lessen the impact.

My eyes darted around. Scanning the area for him. In the deepness of the forest, there weren't any caves or man-made shelters. The trees are lush and overgrown, increasing the engulfing darkness within the location. The rain didn't help as the sky turned an ashy grey along the clouds.

I ventured into the pitch-dark forest alone. A few minutes later I came across a remarkably big tree. A figure came into my view the closer I got. There he was; standing still looking down at the unconscious body of Horikita. He turned around, having a look in his eyes that I never expected to witness again.

"Looks like someone dropped the tiny facade, huh?"

"There isn't enough to have idle talk" He picked up Horikita. I motioned my hand, stopping him.

"I have already appointed Kōenji to carry out the specified plan. Don't worry about how I got him to cooperate, the details can wait."

Then he appeared, jumping from one tree to another. He leaped downwards and grabbed her in a reckless manner. Kōenji glanced at me before exiting the place.

"Now that we're in a secluded area where nobody will intervene in our private matters. We should settle things, right Kiyotaka-sensei?"

"Weren't you the one who taught me first, Aito-sensei?" The smallest smile could be seen on his face.

Though it quickly disappeared, making me question if it even was there in the first place.

"I wouldn't call myself that since I basically stopped once you surpassed me. I'm not pleased how our last interaction went. It's one of the few things I regret."

"It can't be helped, there was nothing you could do. Why don't we put our skills to the test? To see how well each of us improved." Kiyotaka suggested.

"Alright! No holding back, I know your habits."

After uttering those words, we gazed at each other. With the merciless, ferocious glare we normally had but hid from the public. Aside from the glare his eyes have no signs of emotion in them, it contained a deep never ending pit of darkness. While mine showed the same, there was a difference; an emotionally broken person.

"The rules are the same as always." A vicious grin materialized onto my mouth.

I dashed towards him, going straight for the jaw. He parried it with his forearm, using the other hand to punch me in the cheek. I immediately retaliate, kneeing him in the stomach. He took this opportunity to clutch his hands around me, slamming me into the ground. I rolled to the right to dodge the incoming kick which was aiming for the head. I quickly got up, kicking Kiyotaka's stomach.

6 Years Ago

I woke up to a white ceiling. Seconds later an alarm rang throughout the bedroom indicating us to wake up. I went down from the bunk bed which is also white. Several kids my age did the same while the ones at the bottom bed headed to the doors at the end of the room.

Our attire consisted of a white robe, white shoes and socks. The classrooms, corridors, assigned living chambers, pretty much everything around us is a world full of pure whiteness. We are constantly being monitored, exceptions being limited toilet breaks and baths.

I used to assume that it was some type of white torture but the theory was quickly dismissed by me. Why would the higher-ups want to break us even though we were being taught complicated formulas, advanced training methods, and much more? Yes, it was mentally and physically demanding but we were given plenty of rest for us to recover to a certain extent. We got the nutrients our body needed considering all this. The question still remains. Why?