Chapter 20: Discussion

"Would you like to join us, Mochizuki-kun?" Kushida cheerfully asked as I passed them on the way to the test location, Hirata nodded indicating the same.

"Sure, why not. Though I must say it's quite amusing to see you together."

"Ah, we were just discussing some things." Hirata replied.

"Hmm? And what might that be?" I asked.

Knowing him, he'll tell me right away. Probably because I'm a trustworthy guy if I say so myself. The problem is how Kushida will act.

"M—"

"Nothing special! We better get going or we'll be late." Kushida interrupted him.

Yeah, like I thought. She doesn't want me to get involved with the class. I can easily gain more influence if I learn about most of the internal conflicts.

"Just tell me while we're on our way." I suggested.

"Th—"

"Oh? Isn't Horikita there?"

Damn. she's not even trying to be subtle about it. Even someone like Hirata noticed something was wrong. Kushida went to Horikita. It went as anybody expected. I observed them until I felt the sensation of a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see a troubled Hirata.

"Do you...not have the best relationship with Kushida?" He carefully tried to put it on the best possible words he could.

"What makes you think that?" I inquired, not even surprised or angry that he asked just interested in what his thoughts are.

"Your actions are ...definitely antagonistic towards her. Perhaps something happened between you?"

I stared at him with an unreadable expression. My lack of response worried him.

"O-o-of course, it's just my assumption! If that isn't the case and I'm misunderstanding it, please tell me!" Panicking he waved his hands around.

"Nah, it's all good. You're right for the most part." I patted him on the back, reassuring him that the question didn't bother me.

"Then why...?" He muttered in confusion, which I heard.

From his perspective it doesn't make sense. Why would I, a fellow classmate, dislike Kushida, one of the most likeable people in the school year? There isn't an explanation that he can find so he decided to directly ask me. As the class leader he realizes that dissatisfaction, disagreement, and disputes will occur.

Since he trusts his classmates a lot he wants to prevent them before it happens, hence why he tries to resolve some problems prior to them becoming bigger. But when it comes to my case, he can't figure out why or how to resolve it as my behavior towards her. Normally when someone doesn't like someone else they either keep it to themselves or tell it to their close friends.

Although I don't openly say how I feel about her, my actions pretty much speak for themself. Hirata being the person he is became aware that my influence increased in the island exam meaning that if I ever decide to state my displeasure there surely will be conflict in the class. Yes, most of them will side with Kushida but that doesn't mean everyone will. The people will get divided into factions. Because if I ever do that I'll easily convince my stupid classmates.

Well, I doubt that he thought this far. Hirata most likely is worried about his classmate and wants to help him.

"Nothing important happened between us. It's mutual since she also hates me." I shrugged indifferently.