Chapter 28: Game

Mochizuki's POV

   In the afternoon, I went to the Dragon group's discussion group. Despite the fact that it was a bright, sunny day, I was stuck here talking with a bunch of students instead of enjoying my free time. I arrived ten minutes before the discussion was set to begin and appeared to be the first one there. Normally, I wouldn't be this early, but I got nothing else to do. So I might as well be on my phone while I wait.

   The next to arrive was Kanzaki. When he saw me, he greeted me and I did the same. After that, he sat in the closest chair next to me.

   "It's already the third time we had a group discussion. There hasn't been any progress since the start," said Kanzaki.

   "Well, this is a group filled with 'leaders' that all have different views," I added.

   "That's right, though I'm surprised you aren't Class D's leader."

   "Eh, I'm not really happy with the idea of leading them. Should they prove themselves, I may reconsider," I shrugged.

   "You always say things like that, but what do you mean by them?"

   "Oh, it's for them to improve, specifically speaking about their defects."

   "I'm guessing it's not going well?"

   "Yeah, winning the island exam was more detrimental than beneficial."

   "Class D won by a large margin, so it makes sense." I continued.

   "I'm still curious on who actually made them win," Kanzaki mused.

   "What do you mean?"

   While I knew Kanzaki is one of Class B's leaders, I didn't think that he would come to this conclusion that fast. Although I may have been underestimating him all this time, it's still a good thing for me.

   "It's just that I don't believe that Horikita really brought Class D to victory."

   "Kukuku, you just figured that out?" a wild Ryūen appeared as he sat down a bit further away.

   Ryūen was followed by his slaves—I mean his classmates.

   "Not really, I had this suspicion for a while," answered Kanzaki.

   "Oh? Care to tell me more?" a somewhat drained Horikita asked.

   "What were you talking about?" curiously Ichinose asked.

   Ichinose was followed by her ducklings—I mean her classmates.

   Then it was Hirata and Kushida. Lastly, Class A came in. All of us sat in our seats and stared at each other. Not one of us instigated a conversation, perhaps it was because they were waiting for Kanzaki to finish. But when they saw him not even attempting to elaborate they left him alone.

   "So, are we going to stay silent for the rest of the hour?" asked Nishikawa.

   "How about we play a game?" suggested Kushida.

   "But what?" asked Horikita.

   Ichinose then brought out a deck of cards, smiling. "Looks like I came prepared," she chuckled.

   "Okay, what are we going to play?" inquired Kanzaki.

   "It better not be Daifugō, Poker, Blackjack, or any other of those types of games," I interjected.

   "Why not, Mochizuki-kun?" wondered Hirata.

   "It's because the light novel used the first one while the rest are used in every other fanfic, we have to be more unique," I gave a half-truth response, hiding the real reason.