Chapter XXXVII

Gemma's POV:
An hour later we were back on the ground floor to attend the coronation masquerade, taking advantage of a pack sitter Zeke had introduced me to a few weeks ago. The second we entered the crowd Zeke's light touch at my waist became a bit more firm.

So it's already coming to this. I knew instantly Zeke was going to be an overprotective bastard when it came to this pregnancy. "And any other," my wolf chipped in. "It's normal for male wolves, Gemma. Get over it and tough it out."

"I know. By the way, I'm sorry, Raya. It's going to be rough on you, not shifting for seven months."

Werewolf pregnancies are much shorter than human ones, but a pup's immune system is much weaker. In fact, losing pups is too common for any mother's comfort, be it a miscarriage, a stillbirth, or as mentioned before, illness.

"Don't you dare apologize!" my wolf snapped, startling me. "My pups always come before my shifting. I'll be a mother as much as you will."

"Wait, pups with an S? As in plural?"

"I'm no prophet, Gemma. I meant the pups in the future. Though you know multiple births are more common among wolves than humans."

"I am so not ready to raise twins."

"More likely triplets, you know."

I jumped as I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Gemma? You alright, angel? You zoned out. Do you need to sit down. I can get you some water."

"No. No, Zeke. I'm perfectly fine. I was just talking with my wolf. It was a long conversation. She's excited about everything. You know?"

He nodded taking my hands in his. "Then dance with me, my queen. Tonight we celebrate many things."

"Oh? Like what?"

"Let me say it now. A toast to our marriage, to our reign, and to our future. May it be full of joy. I'm starting to believe you're the north born, Gemma."

"Good. That's one thing to put us at ease. Tomorrow we can worry about the rest."

"Tomorrow." He grinned as the music shifted to a quicker tune. "Ah, a folk dance. Looks like I'm teaching you on the floor, Gem. Alright. I'll give you the steps from your viewpoint. I lead. We're in 2/4 time."

"Okay."

"Here. We'll fit into the group now. Here we go. Step right, step left, step right, hop right. Good." I stumbled even as he gave me the steps. "You're okay. Come on. Step right, step left. You're hesitating, Gemma. This isn't a slow dance."

"Yes, well, it's too fast for someone learning," I responded, just starting to find a bit of confidence in the pattern as I observed other dancers.

"Perhaps I could cut in," a soft voice said, just loud enough to cut through the music. "Just a little demonstration for your new bride."

Zeke froze, his breathing shallowing a bit. I turned to my right to find a dark-haired woman who wore as stunning emerald gown and a butterfly mask of gold. Who was it she reminded me of? Seeing her eyes past the mask it became more obvious. This is a coincidence, clearly. But then, seeing how Zeke had reacted to the newcomer had me doubting my assumptions. He turned slowly. By the time their eyes locked she had removed her mask.

I thought of a news story a few years back that had covered the royal family. A new child born to it. Selene. And this woman's features were nearly identical to the mother. Zeke's first words to her were all the confirmation I needed. "Sam. You're alive."
~~~~~
And the first book comes to a close here. Not to worry. As I said before, this will be a trilogy, but I'm not an author to give spoilers! I hope everyone has enjoyed The Lotus Trials enough to watch the drama unfold in book two.