"Respite"

Day 23, Respite

Notes: Light comes over after the leaders do when Sabre gets rid of the darkness entirely.

I knocked on the door. I hope I wasn't too late. Time showed me and all the leaders of Sabre's fight with Void and Shadow Sabre. We all reached in our own ways, I froze and thought about the way I treated him through all of this. How terrible I was when he pushed his own life to protect all of us. I would have come at the same time with the leaders, but so many steves were in panic with the darkness suddenly disappearing. I had to confirm everyone's suspicions and calm them all down while the leaders speaked to Sabre.

Now an hour away from setting I could finally make it here. I just can't but wonder how much anger Sabre will direct at me after everything I did to him. All I know is that this will not end well. I didn't get a response and knocked again. A few seconds later the door opened. I saw Time who had the smell of alcohol on him as well as some blood and hints of bandages stuck on his hands. My eyes widened.

"Time! Is everything okay?!" I asked in a bit of a panic. Time looked at me a bit confused then looked at his hands. He had a hint of realization in his body language.

"Oh sorry. I was just treating Sabre's wounds-" He was cut off by Sabre's familiar voice.

"It's not that bad!" He called to Time from what seemed like the living room. I can't see it from where I stood now.

"Yes it is Sabre!- Sorry Light, do you want to come in?" He asked me about his change from anger to calm so suddenly that I jumped a bit in surprise. I managed a nod and Time went inside. I follow him to see Sabre sitting on the couch. He didn't have a shirt on and I could easily see the cuts, burns, scars, and bruises all over his body. Again I was put into a state of shock. I saw the battles myself, but it never crossed my mind how much physical damage it did to Sabre. I need to remember that Sabre's body is weaker than a Steves.

"Hey Light." He says hissing in pain a bit as Time adds some more acholcal to his wounds. It seemed to be a way of cleaning them. I have never seen it before since our wounds are healed by the green steves. Why don't they just get a Green Steve to heal his wounds. It would be much easier.

"Hello Sabre..." I mumbled a bit sitting in a chair near the couch, but keeping my distance from Sabre. Time starts applying bandages around his wounds, but allowing his burns to breathe a bit. To keep these deep burns from turning into wounds.

"So uh Light I guess you are here for the same reason the leaders were a few hours ago?" Sabre asked me, seeming not to care that Time was helping him patch up. I was slowly getting confused by how calm Sabre seems right now. I was constantly waiting for the backlash of my actions towards him. It was getting close to being unbearable. When is he going to get mad at me?

"Yes... I'm sorry that I treated you the way I did." Sabre smiled.

"It's alright. You were only doing what you thought was right. It doesn't make sense that someone who is supposed to fit the darkness suddenly decided to help it." Sabre says as Time finishes up helping him and Sabre puts his green hoodie back on. You could barely tell that he was even hurt at all. I hated that. Is he just going to pretend that all of this was just okay?! I snapped.

"Sabre this is not okay! I abandoned you when all you ever did was be there for me and all of the steves! I treated you like an animal that would be used and thrown away. You are now badly injured and have not gotten near enough of the thanks you did. I am the one getting all of the praise for the darkness, not you! The one who had to face so many great foes and nearly die each fight! I have been an absolutely terrible friend to you and you deserve better. You should have to pull all of this, it's okay bull. You went through hell and back for us and all we did was pretend you were spawned from the hell you just crawled out of! No one, especially me, deserves your forgiveness so easily!" By the time I spilled my heart out I was out of breath. Sabre looks at me taking a second to take in what I just said. I saw Time slowly leave the room into the kitchen after I spoke.

Sabre gets up from the couch and suddenly hugs me tightly. I didn't hug back flinching a bit. That just made him hug me tighter.

"Light... Thank you..." He mumbled a bit with a shaking voice. "I needed that..." I smiled a bit and hugged back. I shifted myself from my seat so he could lay on me. Can't believe that someone so strong feels so small and weak in my lap now. It went from him hugging me to me holding him. I think now we can finally have a break from our own physical and mental battles we have faced for so long. Sabre soon fell asleep and I did my best to not move a muscle. I'm glad he is finally getting the rest he needs. Time walks in who had some food.

"I was going to make him eat first, but I don't even remember the last Time I saw him sleep." Time says putting the food he made on the table. He grabs a blanket and puts it over us.

"I guess I'm stuck here for a while?" I joked a bit with Time.

"Yes... I am probably going to force him to stay in bed for the next week." He told me. "We are going to also have some game nights if you and any of the leaders want to join us."

"That sounds nice Time." I tell him, putting my hand on Sabre's head. I thought I saw him smile for a second, but I could be wrong. Time goes upstairs leaving me and Sabre alone as the sun sets and we finally get a bit of a break. Even if it's only for a second. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Words 1103)