Twenty-Two-Kind of Ironic

Twenty-Two

Kind of Ironic

We were up most of the night and I was glad that it was a Saturday because there was no way I was going to be able to go to school the next morning. Some of it was just spent in each other's arms talking about space and time, and the rest was kissing and other things that I would have never in a million years guessed I would be doing a few months ago.

"What did you always dream of doing?"

"Before we moved here, I always wanted to be just like my dad. I thought he could do no wrong. I guess that's the bliss that we get as kids. We're so in awe of everything and everyone around us that we don't see the darkness, only light. Somewhere around high school is when I started to see the bad more and more and it made me start to question why I wanted to be this golden boy for my dad when he was far from the Superman I had always pegged him to be as a kid."

"I mean I get that. Even though there were never any blinders on when it came to my mom and I had to basically be an adult at a very early age, there was a part of me that still hoped for a very long time that she would transform into a Martha Kent instead of always being Bonnie Plunkett."

"Who?"

"Right. I keep forgetting you died before I was even born. Those are 2000s mom references and you brought up Superman, so I was just following along on the train."

"I knew the Martha Kent reference but not the Bonnie one."

"It doesn't really matter. The point is that I just wanted her to be the perfect mom and for a long time I held on to the possibility that she would be that, but now I realize that no one can be that perfect. We all have our issues that we have to deal with."

"Yeah I suppose you're right."

"Do you ever think about seeing if they're still alive?"

"Sometimes but then I think what's the point? I'm dead and they will never be able to know how much I loved them. Even my dad, even as messed up as he was, I still can't deny that I miss him."

"And I'm sure he misses you as well. I can find out if you want."

"No, it's better to leave that part of my life buried. I'm only here to figure out what happened that night."

"Maybe but maybe not. And besides maybe they can help."

"I don't want to ok."

"Ok."

"Why don't we watch a movie?"

"Okay what do you want to watch?"

"How about this?" He pointed to the movie with a light blue skeletal bunny face and people in the mist of the bunny. It was Donnie Darko which was kind of ironic given the circumstances.

"Donnie Darko? Great choice."

"I saw Drew Barrymore and Patrick Swayze at the top, two actors I recognize."

"Well their much older in this. This came out in 2001."

"Cool. It looks interesting."

"Wait until you see it."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"I'll let you be the judge."

A little into the movie, at the head over heels part, Tyler stated, "If it wasn't for seeing adult Drew I would have sworn this was an 80s movie. They really have the look down perfectly."

"That's part of the reason why it's a cult classic."