Not An Explanation

Inside the hospital, we were both examined and they told us we were extremely lucky to walk away without a scratch. I moved from my bed to sit next to my sister who I hugged and held tightly.

    "(Y/N)?! BELLA?!" I could hear Dad's frantic voice echoing outside in the waiting room. The large wooden door swung open and he walked in. His brown eyes rested upon both of us seeing no visible injuries and sighed in relief. "(Y/n), Bella, are you two okay?" He asked walking right over to us. "You and I are going to talk." He pointed angrily at Tyler, who ended up in a bed next to Bella. "Are you alright?" He asked us again.

    "I'm fine, Dad. Calm down. We are both fine." Bella answered him.

    "You?" He looked at me.

    "Yes, Dad." He sighed again and hugged us both.

    "I'm sorry, guys. I tried to stop." Tyler voiced his apologies again.

    "We know. It's okay." Bella tried to reassure him.

    "No. It sure as hell is not okay." Dad angrily said to the boy.

    "Dad, it wasn't his fault." I put a hand on his arm.

    "You could have been killed. The both of you. You understand that?" He put his hands angrily on his hips.

    "Yes. But we weren't." I sassed putting my hands on my own hips.

    "You can kiss your license good-bye." Dad said as he turned back to Tyler.

The wooden doors open again and in walked a taller man, with slicked back blonde hair, paler than pale skin, and he had familiar golden eyes.

    "I heard the Chief's daughter's were here." He strutted into the room with a large grin on his face.

    "Dr. Cullen." Dad greeted him.

    "Charlie." He nodded at him. Bella and I gave each other a quick glance. He swiftly grabbed both of our charts and looked over them. "Isabella and (Y/n)."

    "Bella." "(Y/n)." We told him together.

    "Well, Bella, (Y/n). Looks like you both took quite a spill. How are you feeling?" He asked while he looked over our charts.

    "Good." We answered together, making him chuckle.

    "Okay, look here." He tested Bella first by making her follow his finger with just her eyes. Repeating the same action with me. "You both might experience some post-traumatic stress or disorientation, but your vitals look good. No signs of any head trauma. I think your both going to be just fine." Dr. Cullen smiled at us both.

    "I'm so sorry. I'm really..." Tyler tried to apologize again but not before Dad shut the curtain blocking him from out of site.

    "You know, it would have been a whole lot worse if Edward wasn't there. He knocked me out of the way." Bella explained quietly.

    "Actually, the same goes for me except Emmett is the one who helped me." I added.

    "Edward? Emmett? Your boys?" Dad looked at Dr. Cullen quizzically. He didn't really look up from his charts.

    "Yeah, it was amazing. I mean they got to us so fast." I started to say.

    "They were no where near us." Bella finished.

    "Sounds like you were very lucky." He lifted his head from the charts and smiled at us before walking away. Bella and I looked at each other curiously.

We were clear to go, so we followed Dad out into the lobby area. He held open the door for us as we walked out.

    "I gotta go sign some paper work. You should... uh, you should probably call your Mom." He said to us. Bella and I both groaned.

    "You told her?" I asked. He just gives me a well, duh look.

"Ugh. She's probably just...freaking out." Bella groaned while pulling her phone from her pocket.

Dad walked towards the main desk area and Bella and I went to walk around the corner. I was quick to pull her back though. There is the aisle stood Dr. Cullen, Edward, Emmett, and Rosalie all talking. Rosalie didn't sound to thrilled. Emmett and Edward were clearly trying to defend their actions. Dr. Cullen was quick to stop the conversation seeing us there.

    "Can I talk to you for a minute?" Bella asked Edward while peering around the wall.

Dr. Cullen pulled Rosalie away, and without me even asking, Emmett walked over and put one of his large hands on my lower back ushering me away. We took a silent walk outside the hospital and we sat on a bench, with no one else around.

    "It seems as though you have a crazy habit of saving my life." I told him quietly as I fiddled with my fingers.

He put a hand under my chin ever so carefully and turned my face towards him. His fingers are like icicles on my skin, making me let out a small gasp.

    "I guess I do." He smirked and quickly let go of my face.

    "How did you get to me so fast?" I tilted my head and asked him. He gave me a pained look, like he was going through an internal struggle.

    "Would you believe me if I told you I was right next to you?" He spoke quietly looking away from me. I giggled and turned his face back to mine now. I gave him a soft reassuring smile.

    "No." I stated. He let out a deep sigh.

    "Of course, not." Emmett lightly chuckled. "You know... you can't tell anyone." He said quietly while getting ever so slightly closer to me.

    "I wouldn't dream of it. Though I think at some point I'm going to need some kind of explanation." I whispered as he got even closer. Emmett lifted his large hand and gently placed his fingers under my chin, sending a good kind of shiver down my spine.

    "I'd like to give you one... But I can't."

    "I can live with that for now. Just know, I'm stubborn. I'll figure it out eventually." I said quietly and confidently.

I could feel Emmett Cullen's breath mingling with my own as his face leaned in towards mine. I wanted to move that extra few centimeters and have our lips meet, but a voice broke us of our intense gazing session.

    "Emmett." Edwards's gruff voice broke us apart.

Emmett let out a sigh and looked back to me. He took my hand in his and kissed it lightly. His cold lips softly brushed against the surface of my skin.

    "I-I hope you don't get disappointed with whatever you find." He says almost to quietly, that if he was any further away I likely wouldn't have caught it.

Emmett stood to his feet and he walked away. The lingering feeling of his lips on my hand tingling away to nothingness. I stood there with my thoughts rolling through my brain like waves. I will figure this out.

That night after we got home Bella and I both went to bed. I wracked my brain for hours just trying to get some kind clue as to what was going on. I knew I needed more information in order to even begin. But I was determined to figure it out. Late that same night, Bella came crawling into my bed, like we used to do when we were kids. Even though we are both now 17. She let me know she had a crazy dream that Edward was in her room. I hushed her and we both went back to sleep.

Charlie insisted that Bella and myself both take at least one day off from school, so the next day we just stayed home, cuddled up with our blankets on the couch and watched movies. The following day was to be a field trip day so that was sure to be exciting.