Flash From The Past

trouble // imagine dragons

I'm just a man on a mission

I want no trouble

~

"Come on!" DI drags me, going as fast as we can. Oh, I hope he is okay. Please tell me he is okay. The things running through my brain makes me even more anxious. For someone to unmask a super, means a whole lot of trouble. We find trails of blood, only making bile shoot up my throat. This isn't happening.

I don't know what I'm getting myself into for trying to find him, but I'm glad we decided to go. Why didn't he scream? Did he not have enough time? Jesus, Ryder, where are you?

Room after room, we search through them. We rush down the metal staircase and onto the lower floor. DI goes into one room as I go into another. I discover a room, shining with light. The door is closed but the glow seeps from under it. Hesitantly, I turn the knob and enter. Blinking a few times, I see the light is actually holographic fabrications of the past. I concentrate on it closely to find that they are from my mind. I hear DI call my name and I jerk my head towards his voice, but I stand cemented in place. I don't want to go, I'm very curious to what this is. Why is my past in here? Is this supposed to be a sign?

I close the door, shutting DI from barging in, afraid that his presence would make the hologram disappear. I'm too mesmerized to leave. The memory going on currently is one from a decade ago, I think it was a Sunday. Our parents had a cookout while Ryder and I stayed in his tree house not too far from the grill. We had laid down beside each other and just talked slowly, savoring the moment that we were currently sharing. "Have you ever wanted to be a bird?" I had asked him, cutting the silence and breathing deeply as I continued. "To be able to fly whenever you'd like and have so many adventures that you couldn't count it with your fingers?"

I was still dreaming of becoming a hero back then. Flying was something I constantly thought about, so being a bird wasn't an unusual question. Though, wanting to be a super would be kind of taboo if you aren't one, somehow people would take it wrong. It made a lot of sense to buffer the 'I wish I was a super' part with 'I'd love to be a bird'. But, I also wanted to get away from Monterrey. The boy had promised me with his strikingly powerful gaze that he would be the first to take me away if my parents weren't going to do it, reminding me that Ryder still had his parents, meaning he was still happy. I'm not even shocked to see ourselves from so long ago as much as seeing his face without worry. Ryder gleamed entirely with a force that I can now see why I fell so hard for him. He was perfectly flawless.

"Sometimes you have to fall before you fly." He shifted himself to his side to face me and just smiled idiotically. I was confused at the time but it didn't take long until he explained it for me. "I'd only want to fly if you went with me."

It was like the light bulb in my head turned on, shining it's bright blaze. His words only made me mimic his stupid looking smile. At that time, I had no idea he was a super. Or that I was going to be either. Supers were extraordinary, out of this world. They were so uncommon in the ordinary life. The crime wasn't so bad either, so the need for them wasn't spoken about.

I take a step forward wanting to see his face better but the memory changes again, two years after. I smile at this one, it was my tenth birthday. All my girlfriends were over and sitting in the seats of the round table in the dining room, fixing themselves with the dress up supplies. Indeed, everyone was having fun - but I wasn't. I wasn't because Ryder wasn't attending the party. I had asked my mother earlier for him to come but all she said was that he was housing a fever.

As soon as the riot my friends had made was done and had left with their refreshed parents, I went straight to Ryder's house. It was pretty convenient that he only lived in the house in front of us. It wasn't long before I was inside and at the door frame of his room. His head was bowed, a box of some sort under him and scissors in one hand while the other had red ribbon. I could tell he was frustrated and I didn't want to bother him at the moment but what sparked my curiosity was that mom had said he was sick- which from the looks of it, he wasn't. I slowly backed away but let out a cry when I stepped on none other but an object from the devil- Lego's.