The Perfect Storm

you could be happy // snow patrol

You could be happy and I won't know, But you weren't happy the day I watched you go

And all the things that I wished I had not said, Are played in loops 'till it's madness in my head

Is it too late to remind you how we were, Most of what I remember makes me sure

I should have stopped you from walking out the door

~

"Tell me," Julie demands. "Tell me everything that happened."

She makes me nervous, having so much enthusiasm to kill Josh. Apparently me dating him is her worst nightmare. She hates him with a passion, but maybe she hates me even more for not telling her. But how can I? How can I tell her about me meeting Strike, or the kooky waiter that almost died? How can I tell her that the location that our date was is now nonexistent. How do I explain that the biggest super villain in the state right now destroyed our date destination?

She'd die right in front of me.

"One mint chocolate chip for you," Alex hands me mine, giving me the 'don't you dare say a word about what happened, lie if you need to' look. I gulp. "And one strawberry sundae for someone just as sweet."

He kisses the tip of Julie's nose and then sits next to her, completely changing his facial features. A death glare is sent at me. Though, Julie sees none of her boyfriend's attacks and just giggles at his kindness. I can only roll my eyes. I know he's right.

"It's simple, he asked me out, I said what the heck, why not?, we went to eat and he ditched me before he could pay the check. End of story." I act as if what I said is nothing and it hasn't affected me, but oh, how it did. I want Josh to explain his disappearance, and I don't want to hear him say he ran in fear of danger. A real man would find his date and escape with her, not ditching for her to be left to die.

Maybe I skipped a few details, like why my leg is in a giant wrap coincidentally on the day after Strike terrorized Monterrey, but I have yet to lie. Hopefully I can keep up with this.

"Good job" Alex telepathically applauds, giving me the pleasure of a small smile on the outside.

"That's awful."She says, mouth entirely full with ice cream. She might be pouting, but I know for real that she's happy about it. How patronizing. "He's an a-hole anyway. I told you he was no good."

"Yeah, I know." I drift off, watching the people pile into the parlor. They were friends of ours, I could single out Ryder amongst them. He is no longer with Violet. They broke up again, after Homecoming, I think, and I don't know what happened afterwards but nor do I care. I see he is just with the boys, nothing alarming.

"So, what happened to your leg?" Julie inquires, bouncily. I look at her nicely, though I'm entirely annoyed. She wants to hear me out, but I already know what she is thinking. I already knew that she hated Josh anyway but she still wanted to know how our date failed. It's almost like it is entertaining to her.

"Tell her you fell." Alex communicates solemnly, I don't hesitate for a second to answer.

"I fell and broke a ligament." I smile shyly, acting as if it was an accident. But no, I am not Steve Urkel. I do not make mistakes and say "Did I do that?". I think of DI and I yesterday morning, how he examined my leg. He told me later on that my leg wasn't in fact broken but I had torn a ligament. So part of my lie is true and the weight isn't so hard on me.

"That really sucks!" Her sympathy drowns in her ice cream. I don't know if I am more annoyed at her questions that involve me lying or how she is more entertained by her ice cream than me. "I hope you feel better."