Just Say It

Summer Skin // Death Cab for Cutie

On the night you left I came over

And we peeled the freckles from our shoulders

Our brand new coats so flushed and pink

And I knew your heart I couldn't win

Cause the seasons change was a conduit

And we left our love in our summer skin

~

"Now if twenty percent of the exam is going to be on descriptive chemistry, can someone tell me what Boric Acid is classified as?" Mr.Clyde raises his voice for everyone to hear over the loud chatter. He sits in his swivel chair in frustration. The room drastically calms down and everyone goes to their designated seats. To be honest, I'm quite surprised that Daniel has such a grip on this class. If I was a different person, one who wouldn't care, I would definitely still take advantage of the 'new teacher' situation. There are a few grunts and a "boric acid? More like borING acid" remark. Though entirely, no one wants to volunteer to answer, so I do.

"It's made from nitric and carbonic acids that form from a H+ donor." My confident answer is shaken with humility as the class laugh at my mistake making my face redden. We haven't talked about Boric acid in ages, and the review has been hitting me hard with a bat. He lets out a chortle before he informs the class that my answer is more than just wrong- but horrifying.

"Ms. Payne, you shame the entire world of Chemists, and dare I say, needs much more than a little work." He clarifies in the most indignant way. "You've treated it as a Bronsted acid but in fact, it is a Lewis acid. Does anyone want to break it down for victims like Lorena?"

The class lowly rumbled with the dying laughter from my response and I tune out for the rest of the remaining time as some kid named Georgia explains the right answer. Only ten minutes until my last period. How could I forget about H3BO3?

"May I speak to you in private?" Daniel clamps his fingers onto the back of my book bag, causing me to practically fall. Curious, I do stop submissively.

"Yeah?" The room has cleared out by now, a few minutes remaining until the tardy bell. There is only the faint clamor in the distance. I have no idea why Daniel wants to speak to me, and the only thing I can think of is my failure to answer his questions correctly. I need to pick up the pace.

"You're a great student, Lorena, really." He pauses, seemingly uneasy about what he is about to say. Oh boy, what is it? Detention? "However, you've missed a lot of exam questions lately and I've decided that we need to fix that. So how does tutoring sound to you?"

Finally it is my turn to laugh. Tutoring? For a straight A student? That's a sick joke. Though he gives me funny face just to make me realize that it's not a joke at all.

"I'm serious, Lorena. I've been holding tutoring sessions for a few weeks now and if it makes you feel any better, most of that class has came at least once."

"One, that doesn't make me feel better and two, this is ridiculous, Daniel. I have all A's and I try my best in class, how does that make me even qualified for this!" I know I am sort of freaking out, but this is the second to worst thing to happen to me, detention being first. I've always been the smart and creative aleck, if he takes that away from me, I'll just be creative and that's just not going to work out for me.

Maybe I can get him to back off if I reference him as my friend instead of my teacher. Then maybe he won't be such a drag.

"Daniel, seriously, you know me. I'm not some lethargic twit."