To Or Not To Be Tutored

Fools Gold // Fitz & the Tantrums

Oh, maybe I just wasn't good enough

To blow your mind, you know I've tried.

Them silver lines they cut like blades of glass

Not worth the blood we've shed for love.

~

Thanksgiving, the word that explains itself. It's the time of year to say your appreciation to everyone and thing that has affected you at some point or as Dictionary.com says, "the act of giving thanks; grateful acknowledgment of benefits or favors, especially to God".

So why does the word give no correlation not even to the burning turkey in the oven at my house? Between my bickering parents, the obnoxious football blaring on the flat screen TV and the inseparable pair I call my older sister and her almost-husband, it's quite difficult to keep my sanity. Julie and Alex's families are to come in thirty minutes to join us for dinner.

My mother is going nuts, and in whole honesty, she looks nuts. With her wild hair and dangerous looks, it would be a death sentence to come near her while she baked. I, for one, go out of my way to be out of hers. Not to mention staying away from June and her fiancé, Augustus. You don't know how long it took me to stop laughing at how horrible their names are together. June and Augustus? They better have ten children. January, February, April, May, July, September, October, November and December. If not, I don't know what is life and I won't be able to deal with it ever again. I mean I love June and all but I can't help but make at least one or two jokes about their names every time they come.

I fold the remaining napkins in leave shapes and smile when I find that the large dining table is complete. A total of fifteen chairs set up eccentrically. I never understood why I hadn't taken origami seriously enough when I was younger, it seems to be a hobby of mine during the holidays. For Easter I'll make bunnies, for Veterans Day I form swans, the Bishop's hat for the Fourth of July, leaves for thanksgiving and Christmas trees for Christmas.

"You did a wonderful job setting the table, Lorena." Augustus admires, examining all the details I had put into it, from the flower arrangement in the middle to the cursive name cards. Though they are not necessary, for we always sit in the same spots, I feel a certain ecstasy when setting it up because it looks more formal. I thank him for his compliment and leave as quickly as I can to escape from talking to him alone.

The thing about Augustus is that he would fire up a conversation but wouldn't know how to drive it or continue it at the least. It drives me insane, because I can't just abruptly leave but I do have to sit in silence. He probably thinks I hate him, since he tries so hard but I always end up breaking his confidence. He's twenty four, three years younger than my sister. I'm not sure why it occurred to her to accept his proposal, he's too quiet for my buoyant sibling. My dad and her are basically the same person, they look and act alike. Then here I am, resembling neither of my parents. Truth be told, I'm probably adopted.

The doorbell rings, and without trying to seem exasperated with my own family, I rush towards the door to welcome our guests. They're the only things I look forward to this day, well besides the food. Julie's mother immediately pulls me into a hug, not forgetting to lift her sweet potato casserole over my head. They come in, and I don't forget to fist pump Julie's little brother and sister as they passed by me. Next is Alex's and they stroll in softly. The difference between Julie's and Alex's houses is that Alex is the only child, raised in a quiet atmosphere and Julie was raised in complete recklessness. She still turned out perfect however.

I snicker at Alex's outfit as he passes by, he looks so goofy in his orange tie and brown cashmere sweater. Originally, I'd assume that Alex is dressing oddly because he wants to impress Julie, but now, I'm not so sure. Though, I watch as he presses a small kiss to her neck, which causes her to crank her neck. She's very ticklish in most places. But usually if I sort of play that game, she'll yell at me.