Full Measure

Don't let me fall behind // jukebox the ghost

'Cause I'm the ghost of your past and mine slowly combine.

And I am the one with whom your memories you can reside,

Come back at any time.

And I am the one who you can call at any time

~

"Can I take this off now?" I giggle, very giddy about wearing a blindfold. I can tell Josh is just as excited about taking me on this date as I am going with him. My finger paw at the lining of the fold until I feel two hands on my temples before he lifts it off of my head. I gasp, we are at an Italian restaurant. I could picture us like Lady and the Tramp already.

Josh wears a light blue button up with a striped bow tie. It's cute considering that he doesn't dress like this usually. He examines me, trying to determine if I approve of the place or not. Anticipating.

"I love it." I close my eyes to breathe in the great smells. Tomato sauce being the most prominent. The restaurant, Lugini's, label is embroidered in gold on the large menu. My fingers brush over it as I make my choice. I have only been here once before with my parents. There's Antipasto, Torta Rustica, Zuppa Toscana, and spaghetti with meatballs. Mostly due to not being able to recognize any other food on the menu, I choose the Spaghetti with meatballs. Besides, I haven't had meatballs in a while.

The waiter arrives fidgety, seemingly quiet. He's tall, skinny with thick framed glasses and a mop of curly hair that could probably hold everything inside my purse. Josh smiles at the skittish boy before ordering his Torta Rustica and my spaghetti with meatballs. I think the poor guy forgot to ask for our drinks, but we let him slide, knowing that it's probably his first day on the job. That's most likely the only reason why he is so secluded.

"I never knew how hard it is to eat spaghetti with a spoon and a fork." I laugh out, barely grasping the lines of wheat between the teeth of the fork. We are thirty minutes into our date, and I know this because I have been eyeing the clock with the cartoon chef on it the entire time. "It makes me wonder if I've been living right or not."

"You're quite adorable." He chuckles, bringing his coca cola to his lips. I watch as his Adam's apple dips up and down as he swallows. Then glance at my plate. The meatballs strayed on one side, each of the three are the size of my fists. I'm not exactly sure how I'll manage to eat it all.

"No, not really." My voice could be barely heard, but my head shakes in response. I know for a fact I'm not that cute.

My head snaps up when his glass is forced down quickly. His face twisted and he scrunches his nose. I could only be perplexed at the moment. Is he angry? Did I say something wrong?

"Never say that. Ever." Josh commands. Oh. He isn't mad, he's just being dramatic. I can't help but smile after the sudden silence. He returns one and surprises me by placing his hand on top of mine on the table. The white linen draping the one legged table makes our hands look noticeable. "I'm serious."

"Josh, can I ask you something?" My eyes flicker, his face studying our hands and up to the strange waiter of ours, then completely forgetting what I am about to say. He is far behind us in a dark corner, speaking to another man. The guy looks pissed, fists clenched, jaw locked. Our waiter is just looking for trouble.

At this time, I wish I could have super hearing powers,but alas, all I can do is stop time. The man throws his arms up to our waiter's collar and grasps it tightly. No one notices what's going on, not even Josh who won't break his stare to turn to look. The waiter chokes out what I can make out as a 'sorry' but it doesn't even affect the man's rage. He shakes the boy, lifting him above the ground as if he is weightless. I've never seen such a thing before.