What Lies Ahead

Wonderwall - Oasis

Today was gonna be the day

But they'll never bring it back to you

By now you should've somehow

Realised what you gotta do

I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do

About you now

-*-*-

With a newly bought vinyl in one hand, I strut down the sidewalk to the beat of some new single stuck in my head. If it wasn't for Ryder, who introduced me to them, I wouldn't be so obsessed with buying them. I walk past the local electronics store where gigantic screens display the overly fake news reporters. Some people stop to watch, catching my eye. I clutch my vinyl in between my arms and see the live footage of a man with a strange new mask. It is pretty far from the camera's view but it looks like a rabbit's. How odd.

It must be another new super flying in for a detour or something. You'd be surprised with the amount of people who think they've "got what it takes" to be the next big hero, and you'd hear about it in the news, but then a few days or even a month or so and what happens to that guy you heard so much about? He's somehow manage to disappear into thin air. Where he went, no one knows and honestly, no one cares, especially here in Monterey, California. This is the epitome of what a snooze-town is like.

Okay I'll give it the credit that California itself absolutely does need saving, but not so much here. I mean, I guess there's the danger of robberies, pervs and earthquakes, but Monterrey isn't famous for that reason. Although, one of the most famous heroes was born here, and how I know, you ask? Well, I don't mean to kiss and tell, but he's my best friend, or at least was. The fact that I now have to hear that practically everyone adores him to the exception of me is quite painful. I don't know how it ended but, in the same time, I don't remember how it exactly started. If I let whatever we had go any further, as in becoming much more than just best friends, because apparently that's ridiculous, then my heart would have broken even more than it is now.

Ever since he decided that going to New York, where more crime is committed and more saving is needed, we stopped talking and left on a really bad note. Ryder Finch Waters is a living, breathing, superhero with more than enough powers. For what we know, Ryder possesses the best flying abilities on record. He just like the other "specially-abled" people. You know, the ones who have adventure in their blood and carry the vigilante trait, though, some are more pompous than others. In Ryder's case, he is the most esteemed of them all, with his perfect hair and body in general. His brain is just as superior as his body and the chances of him ruining that is minimal. Talk about a catch.

"Is this man in black actually in for the ride or is he just going to be another lost cause?" The reporter ties up his report on the new character with a shuffle of papers. It's strange to think about it, like where do these people find the inspiration to put on spandex and fight with other people in spandex? Do they just wake up one morning and decide? The world may never know.

I shake my head whilst on my walk back home. I didn't take my car because I seriously needed the fresh air. The spray paint I've been using on my new canvases have very strong fumes and I was starting to feel dizzy. My friends had warned me about the consequences of over inhaling the chemicals listed on the cans, but I couldn't help it. I just love art that much.

A car honks loudly and I turn to see why, but there isn't anything. Just the people crowded at the tv display and two guys walking behind me. I shrug in distaste of the trivial precautions and keep on walking until the park comes into view. There is a slight breeze that pinches my cheeks, making them that generic rosy color. I loved feeling this way, the feeling of being awake, knowing you're alive. As I stare at the park in view, I find myself hallucinating. I put myself to a stop as I watch something that tugs my heart. I am twenty feet away, talking to who I thought was a complete stranger at the time, but in reality the boy that chased my dog down and brought him back was Ryder. Twelve years ago, in the middle of September, with the same kind of weather like today, I met Ryder. I remember ever since he was little he wanted to be a hero, saving the day — the whole shebang. His hair was messed up at the time, the coat he wore was slightly larger for his body and he had the loveliest brown eyes that I had ever seen. Ryder had caught my dog after he jerked away from my grasp. I was crying that day, I can remember it so clearly. I had sat on the crisp grass, with my hands on my face, covering the tears that escaped my eyes. I thought I had lost Bear forever. Then, Ryder had come up to me and returned Bear to my utter surprise as Bear was still a puppy. We immediately had the best kind of friendship not long after that and I looked up to him, because Ryder was a year older than me, which by adolescent logic meant that he could be my role model. He already had a future planned, being a superhero is legit when you have super capabilities. That first day of our friendship was the first day I experienced what falling in love meant, even if we were kids, and there was never a time where I could deny it because I have always been in love with Ryder.

Though, the present returns to me as I hear a cough from far turn again to see that the same two guys are still strolling behind me. Normally, I would take it lightly, but once the park is in view, the shopping complex is long gone. Meaning that this is the entrance to the subdivision and those two guys don't look like they live together or at least anywhere near here. Instead of heading home, knowing that there would be many places the two men could jump me, I turn to the park. I begin to speed walk my way and I notice by the sound of their shuffles, that so are they.

The park, still meters away, is far enough for people to not be able to see me and as the fear builds up inside of me, the rush of blood makes my head pound. I'm pulled away into the back of some building. One of them puts his hands on my mouth so I can't scream and the other is to busy undressing me with his eyes to notice me grabbing my house key from my pocket. One of the men throws my album to the ground, giving him more access and as I get ready to pounce, key in hand to scratch, one of the men disappear into thin air. I feel a rush of air as the other does shortly after also. Then, suddenly, I am in the park, with my album in hand.

With my body facing a large willow tree that I'm already quite familiar with, a man abruptly stands in front of me, leaning against the tree. With large breaths taken, the man in front of me is dressed in black attire. The best part is, he's wearing the rabbit's mask. It's him. "I could have handled that myself." I defend, knowing how cocky newbie supers can be when they rescue the damsel. I never noticed the rush of meeting with a new metahuman can be. I try my best to contain my smile as I hear the almost-silent scoff he takes under his breath.

"I'm sure you could." He agrees before disappearing into thin air, the last things he leaves are his imprint of his smirk in my mind and the huskiness of his voice. Left with goosebumps, I snap back to reality when someone yells for me to duck, which luckily I did, barely missing the football that was thrown so close to my head. I could even feel the small breeze that came from it. One of the guys playing jogs over to collect the ball and manages to slip in a sorry to me as well. "Sorry about that," He apologizes, eyebrows furrowed. He's lean and muscular and when he folds his arms, his veins sort of pop out. Biting my lip to contain my smile — because there aren't a lot of attractive guys that end up apologizing to me —, I say it's all right. "I'm Daniel."

"Lorena." I say, taking a peek at his facial features. Jutting jaw, plump lips, wide-eyed, he looks a lot like someone I know. I can't put my finger on it, but I definitely can feel it. He presents me with one last grin, showcasing a perfect set of teeth and tells me that he hopes to see me around again. I agree then, stroll around the willow tree to the bench I usually sit at during days like this, to take a moment and think about the past few minutes. The pacific ocean is close enough for me to hear it clearly. The crashing waves echo and the tree that gives me just the right amount of shade during the summer is perfectly aligned to block the sun from my face. The first thing that comes to mind is a question, what just happened?