Prepare To Meet Your Foe

Stop the World I Wanna Get Off With You // Arctic Monkeys

Well I know that getting you alone isn't easy to do

And I don't wanna lie and I don't wanna tell you the truth

And I know we got places to go, we got people to see

~

As any good-doer would do, naturally, I signed up to volunteer at the nearby elementary school. Of course, the lights were on currently, since we were the first to arrive. And "we" means Julie, Alex and I, since we all live next to each other. As perfect as that sounds, I have other things on my mind. Setting up the food. One after another, we sort the condiments, then the actual meals. Our labor would eventually help us finish early, I hope. As I look up, Julie takes out trays of food, hands it to Alex, where he sorts it and then hands it to me, to label it to the correct customer. My phone buzzes in my pocket, which is surprising since nobody else really texts me besides the two crazy kids in front of me. "Hey, are you at the Hallowfest?" Daniel texts me. My eyebrows raise in response, he's the coordinator of Helping Hands, how does he not know we are already working. My fingers quickly swipe a "yes" and I get back to work, meanwhile Alex piles up more food for me.

"I'll be there in a second, I'm glad you came for this." He replies, causing me to pause my work again. Julie looks slightly annoyed, since I'm holding our system up. The ladies that are sponsoring us are chatting with Alex, so he doesn't seem to mind.

"Okay, I'll see you then." By the time Daniel arrives, most of the volunteers have arrived and it seems that he came in at the exact time Violet came. Interestingly enough, she volunteers, but I'm pretty sure it's a requirement for cheerleading. Julie, Alex and I have first picks on what we want to volunteer for. There's the cake-walk, fishing-for-prizes, skull bowling, apple bobbing and so much more. Though, the only thing that catches my eye is face painting. My artistic side gets the better of me and so does Julie's. Even if we practically throw Alex under the bus, he appears happy to be with Daniel. They decide to work at the cake walk. I think it's pretty cool that our representor is Daniel, and it's even better that he works along with us too, willingly.

Meanwhile, Lisa, our makeup artist, decides to show us some simple examples before we go ahead and paint each other's faces. She calls for the boys, who are all too cowardly to come forward. My instinct is to call over Daniel, and Julie calls Alex. Lisa instructs us to do superhero masks, because what four year old wouldn't trust them? Daniel chooses to wear Alvin the Almighty's mask and which I gladly do it in honor of the late hero. With his eyes closed, I take the chance to scan over his face. His strong jawline reminds me a lot of Ryder's oddly and his lips are tainted with Listerine. I never noticed the birthmark next to his left eye and the matching one on his right but slightly farther down. He even has faint freckles. This reminds me that I really don't know Daniel that well. Alex riskily takes on his own costume's mask, which makes me laugh because of the silent irony. Julie fails to realize it, since she technically doesn't know his identity yet. "Do you ever just think that the people around you could actually be supers?" Daniel speaks as I draw a thick, red line over his eyebrow. My hand tenses and I bring my brush down, peering down at him through my lashes. There he sits in front of me, slouched so I can reach him. Alex and I share a glance, both of us freaking out a little in the inside. What if he knows one of us or even who the both of us are? "Like I know this sounds crazy and all, but don't you think that we do things like this even if there are actually people walking among us that have to wear masks?"

"I know exactly what you're saying." I admit, but the words fall out wrongly. Sounding more miffed than calm. I add the final touches and hand him the mirror, hoping he will drop the whole "which supers are living amongst us" thing.