S E V E N T E E N

After telling Alexei about my childhood, I was way too mentally exhausted to deal with anything else

After telling Alexei about my childhood, I was way too mentally exhausted to deal with anything else. After napping for a couple hours, I felt a lot better about what happened, but I was still a little hurt if I'm being honest.

I'm just shocked that Nonno would speak to me like that. Try to control me like that. I found the person that makes me the happiest that I have ever been. The person I want to spend the rest of my life with, and instead of being happy for me- he tried to control the situation.

Still sleeping beside me, I place a kiss on Alexei's forehead and smile when I think about what he just did. He reassured me that I am worthy of love, and that HE loves me despite my scars and troubled past. I truly don't deserve him. Looking at the clock on my nightstand, I see that it's just past 2:30 in the afternoon. Getting up out of bed- I head into the bathroom and take a quick shower before getting dressed and heading downstairs.

I make a pit stop in the kitchen and grab the pecan pie that Nonna made this morning, and a fork. Pulling myself up on the island counter, my fork stabs through the pie just as Nonna walks into the room. "I see you're into the pie" she says, eyeing the forkful on its way into my mouth as she walks over to the fridge. "Sure am" I reply, shoving the food in my mouth. She chuckles as she starts pulling out a bunch of vegetables and setting them on the counter. Nonna closes the fridge and comes over to where I'm sitting, leaning her hip against the edge of the counter and grabbing a fork out of the drawer. We sat in silence for a few minutes, each taking bites of this pie as a way to not look at each other.

"Sweetheart, what's wrong" she questions, taking a final bite and setting her fork in the sink. I watch her for a few minutes- she washes her hands, grabs a knife and a cutting board, pulls out a bowl. Its only when she doesn't start cutting up the vegetables that I look up at her and find her already watching me. "Nothing" I reply. Nonna sighs and shakes her head, and I keep eating my pie as I watch her start to prepare dinner.

"It's just, I don't like being told what to do. I've never had anyone care about me before and this is all still so new" I say, not wanting to look at her in fear I'll start crying again. I watch as her hands still as she sets down the knife. Next thing I know, her arms are wrapping around me and she's rubbing circles on my back. "I know bambina. I know" she says, her voice calm. (baby)