T W E N T Y - N I N E

Its 2am

Its 2am. On December 25th.

Today is the day everything changes.

We've been in Russia for a week, and I absolutely adore everything about the home, place, and people Alexei grew up with. It has been a magical experience, and one that I will cherish for the rest of our lives.

Slipping out of the bed, I kiss Alexei's cheek and shove my pillow into his arms before slowly backing away and heading downstairs. As I walked the halls, my mind wandered until I found myself outside of dad's room, and without even thinking- I was opening the door and heading over to him.

He must've heard me because as I approached the bed, he flicked back the covers and patted the space beside him. I smiled and sat down next to him, scooting right into his side as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "What's wrong principessa?" (princess)

"Just tired" I reply, and even though its not the full truth, it also isn't a lie. I am well and truly exhausted, and I think everything is finally catching up to me. Dad hums, and pulls me a bit closer, rubbing my arm as he starts to hum a low tune that I recognize from my childhood.

As dad's low hum fills my ears, I find my eyes becoming heavy, and feel a kiss being placed on my temple before finally drifting to sleep.

-----

Waking up a few hours later, i'm back in Alexei's bed and the sheets where he would have been sleeping are cold, telling me he's been gone for a while. Looking at the clock- I see its just past 11am. Sitting up in bed, I brush my hair out of my face and stretch- taking in the quiet of the bedroom before I walk right into the chaos and excitement of the holiday.

Getting downstairs, I went to the kitchen first- needing a coffee and some food, and to my surprise, Alexei had both, and a kiss waiting for me.

"Hey you, how'd you know I was up?" I ask, walking right into his arms and laying my head on his chest.

"Because I know you" he replies, a cocky smile on his face. I rolled my eyes even as a smile took over my face, and once again- my heart swells at being able to share a life with this man. After I finished my food, I grabbed my coffee mug and Alexei's hand as we headed into the living room.

The younger kids started tearing into their gifts, some of the adults started drinking, a Christmas movie was playing in the background, and even through all of the chaos and excitement of the morning- I had never felt more at peace. 

As the excitement of the day wore off, and the chaos quieted Alexei kissed my forehead and nodded his head. I smiled back at him and took a deep breath. "Guys, We have something to share will y'all."

As our family sat down around the room, Alexei and I made our way to the front. Taking a deep breath, I hand Alexei's baby sister Stasia a small box wrapped in Gold foil. "Okay Stasia, Alexei and I want you to open this box and show everyone what's inside, okay?" She nodded her head and started tearing into the box in a fit of giggles. Paper was flying everywhere, and everyone laughed at her excitement as the lid came off the box.

Small gasps filled the room as everyone slowly figured out what was inside; a pair of baby shoes, a pacifier, ultrasound pictures, and a positive pregnancy test. "Surprise! Baby Romanov is due in June!"

~Flashback~

2 months ago | October 8th 2021

Fuck.

What the hell have we done?

I'm panicking. I know I am. My chest is tight. My breathing heavy. It feels like my ears are clogged. Fuck. I can't do this. What have I done. What have I done, what have I done, what have I- "Baby, come on. Come back to me. I'm here. You're safe."

His voice was like a bucket of ice water bringing me back. "What happened Ella, and why on earth are you on the floor?"

I take a few deep breaths to try and regulate myself and look around. I am in fact on the floor of my bathroom, in nothing but a t-shirt. My skin is flushed, I'm sweating, there are tears running down my face. And sitting beside me is a positive pregnancy test.

Fuck.

"Marabella! What's wrong?"

Once again Alexei's voice brings me back to reality.

"I'm pregnant."

Alexei's face paled, and he lost his balance- falling on his ass beside me on the tile. "What are we going to do?" he asks. "What do you want to do?" I reply.

Alexei takes a deep breath, before grabbing my hand in his shaky one. "Ella. I would love nothing more than a family, and a life with you. But if you're not ready for this, I wouldn't hold that against you." The tears started to fall again, and as my body wracked with sobs I fell into his chest, clutching his shirt in my fists.

"Ella please, breathe. Come on baby. We can do this, but only if you want to. This is your choice."

"We can do this? You promise me we can to this? Together?" I ask, still holding onto his shirt for dear life. Alexei hugs me tighter and kisses my forehead.

"Together. For the rest of our lives."

~Flashback over~

The memory of 2 months ago hits me in the chest, and my eyes well up as I wait for the blow up that I've been counting on. It's only when Xander hugs me that I finally relax, and the tension of the last 2 months finally eases.

"You're going to be an amazing mamma Mara" he whispers into my ear. "You got this sorellina, and we're going to help you every step of the way." (mommy, baby sister)

Sweet relief. And although I know there is still a lot to unpack here, knowing that I have our families support makes all the difference.

The rest of the day was spent fawning over the news of a new Romanov, chatting and snacking. It was truly perfect, and I look forward to more days like these. Days spent within the chaos and love of our family, and the newest addition.

 Days spent within the chaos and love of our family, and the newest addition