Memories and Regret

Standing next to me is Loki, his expression worried

Standing next to me is Loki, his expression worried. This must be his memory since I'm not familiar with this hall. It is huge and dark but the torches give this vault some light. Filled with ancient relics, something catches my eye.

Curiously, I walk toward one of those relics. With one closer look, my breath hitches and my heartbeat stops.

"Tell me!" a desperate scream from Loki, a younger Loki, catches me off guard.

I whip my head at the stairs where his younger self stands on the lower stairs with Odin in the middle of it.

"What is this?" His question sounds more like a demand. His jaw clenches when he grabs me by my biceps and forces me to face him. "Get out of my head." He growls.

My hands tremble from rage which I try to contain. I yank my arm away and take the ankh from its place. "Why does Asgard have this?"

He squints his eyes and is about to touch it but I hit him on the head with it instead.

"I do not know why we should harbour such a ghastly thing." He replies in distaste and scrunches his nose. "And it doesn't seem like it could be a dangerous weapon."

I grow furious and the tears prick my eyes. "Oh, I can show you how dangerous it can be when it returns to the rightful owner."

During my speech, our surroundings change. We are in the middle of the desert with the sun burning down. Far away, I notice some pyramids but they aren't fully built yet. Reflective, I let go of my ankh and the ground underneath us trembles.

"If this is still your doing, I suggest you stop." Loki bids and I glare daggers at him, mentioning him talking doesn't make it any better.

When I look up at the sky, I feel so small, just like on the day it happened. The night has fully welcomed us now by the time and I know it wouldn't take any longer until I will relive my worst nightmare.

Harshly, I tug on Loki's green cape. Before a word slips my mouth, I swallow hard. "That's your doing. Make it stop." I plead in a demand.

But of course, he knows nothing better than enjoying the moment and taunting me. I warn him once, then twice, until my emotions control my powers. An angry, scared and frustrated scream slips out and we get brought back to reality.

Loki is still in front of me, with wide eyes. I couldn't contain my rage anymore and sent a powerful sonic boom at him. From the upper rooftop we stand, he lands on the lower one. He hisses in pain, still bent over. I jump down next to him and pull him by the cape, he just threw it backwards. As I get him in the position I wanted, I step onto his chest and push him back to the ground.

His eye colour, the icy blue slowly fades away, showing me his emerald ones. Even though he was almost defeated, he doesn't show any fear. No, he is amused but also respectful somehow.

"You're welcome, Odinson." He grits his teeth at the nickname. "Your mind is all yours again." I refer to his eyes.

As I start to limp away from exhaustion, Loki speaks up: "You might want to stop the bomb which got fired a few seconds ago." I turn my head and my body tenses up. "The human race seems important to you" He sighs and he covers his guilt with a smirk.

"We'll talk this out later, I have to fix the problem you caused." I babble at the same time I think about how to stop the nuke.

"Perhaps, the Tesseract helps." He suggests that I don't have to think twice.

Snapping my fingers, I teleport to the cube but Natasha crosses my way.

"Back off, if your life matters," I warn her

She tilts her head and hands down to the holsters, just in case she needs them. "I can't let you take the Tesseract, you know that."

I groan and push her aside. She points a gun at me and shoots it but notices shortly after that the bullets do not harm me.

"I can stop the nuke but I need this to fulfil my plan," I inform her sincerely but it seems I haven't changed her mind yet. "I promise, I owe you, all of you but please trust me and let me assist you," I beg pathetically and put my hands up, signalizing that I surrender willingly.

Her hand moves to her ear. "Stark, did you hear that?" Then a pause. It doesn't take long until she nods and permits me.

When I touch the Tesseract, I grunt in pain. It takes a lot of strength out of me. I never absorbed power twice in a day. Usually, it took me months until I found a new power source to add to my collection. The burn in my veins is no longer a sensation. My skin pales and my veins darken. After I absorbed enough power from the space stone, I reopen my dark eyes.

I teleport to Tony Stark with the help of my new power. It ends up with him catching me mid-air. "This isn't a free ride, Reaper." Tony snarls and I roll my eyes.

"I'm paying my debt by saving thousands of lives." I retort.

"What's the plan?" Tony asks and slows the pace until we are hovering above the sea.

I start to climb in front of him and he tries to catch me if I would fall.

"Just hold me still." Looking out for the nuke, I ask Tony how long until the blow and finally spot the target.

"Thirty seconds." He answers worriedly. "We should get closer or it'll blow us up."

"Stay," I demand and he obeys.

I feel how nervous he is even if he is covered all in metal. We wait for another twenty seconds but those seconds feel more like hours. In the last ten seconds, I use the space stone's power and open the portal in which Loki last put the coordinates. The Chitauris are about to come through but my idea distracts them. With my actual ability, I send the black smoke behind the nuke and give it one strong push. Milliseconds before it explodes, I close my fist to shut the portal.

A sigh of relief escapes both our lips. Still not quite believing his eyes that he made it out alive, he starts to chuckle awkwardly. "You actually did it. You saved us. And I thought you weren't the hero kind of type, Reaper."

"I'm no hero." I barely whisper.

My exhaustion kicks in and I no longer can keep my eyes open. My body sags in and if it wasn't for Tony, I would have sunk into the cold water. He catches me and softly slaps my face to keep me awake but I was too tired to do anything.

"Hey, kid. Stay with me. We'll get you fixed."