A Game of Realization

The game went back and forth, and I must admit, I'm a bit tipsy from all the alcohol I drank to dodge his questions about my truths. Loki must have noticed because he took away my liquor and replaced it with water. It was his turn to ask me a question and I'm a bit frightened that I can't think clearly anymore from all the fuze.

"Have you had a crush after HYDRA?" He looks at me quite curious and I nod my head which I then internally facepalm myself from my stupidity.

"Interesting." He studies me for a moment before he gets back to the game. "Truth."

"You like to torture me somehow, why?" I asked him this kind of question because I wanted to know if he knew he hurts me somehow by the way they remind me of my past and I literally try to push it aside.

He chuckles softly and looks away at his glass of vodka. Yes, I finished the whole bottle of whiskey we now only had vodka left.

"It's not about torturing, but about teasing." His gaze focused back on me. "And the only way to stop it is to give in."

Embarrassed, I laugh to hide my emotions. "I'm an idiot," I mutter to myself to prove myself that the crush I have on him is nothing more than just a fling. Yeah, that must be it. Just a fling.

"Why would you be an idiot, princess?"

His voice is full of contempt and back to mocking again. And I hate him for enjoying the tease in this every moment. All I can do is laugh uncontrollably and hysterically again.

Is it because of me being drunk? Maybe. Or is it more because I'm giving in? The hell, I don't know.

"If I'd tell you, I'd be even a bigger idiot."

Angry at myself for almost admitting it, I slam the glass against the coffee table as it breaks into small pieces. Loki's smile grows wider and watches me in fascination.

"You just proved my point." At this moment, he's being an unbearable tease.

"What point?!" I ask out loud even though I probably know that he knows.

My jaw clenches as my heart starts to race as if I'm being afraid that he has found out and I'll get the denial. He tilts his head to the side and narrows his eyes.

"Oooh, did I hit a nerve?"

My hand grabs the dagger from my holster. I lunge at him, shoving him against the wall as I hold the dagger to his throat.

"I'm not in the fucking mood to continue this game. So answer me, right now. What point?" I seeth as I speak through gritted teeth.

His eyes widen a little. Completely stunned by my sudden move which he only reacted to too slowly. Yet, he's not afraid but rather intrigued. His dark eyes shine again with amusement and excitement.

"I think I hit a nerve, princess."

His tone was cold, his lips pulled into a mocking grin. But his eyes tell a different story. They're soft and almost hopeful. He casually leans against the wall. He's waiting for my next move since the pressure on his throat loosened a little. Again, I press the dagger closer, almost piercing his skin as I feel that I'm not fully aware of my emotions right now.

"No, you don't just get to tell me that you have hit a nerve! Because it's obvious that you did. So now, tell me what trick you made to make me fall right into your trap," I growl and point a finger at his chest.

"I want you to realize it yourself," he says but his voice this time gentle. All his cold demeanor disappeared. Taken aback, I let go of the dagger and back off one step. Evidently, I stumble over but Loki holds onto my arm. "You had enough whiskey. We are done playing games. For today and forever."

He leads me back to the bed and lays me down. Picking up the blanket he covers me up and smiles softly. As Loki turns his back, I finally speak up and he stops in his track, still not turning back.

"Frigga has confessed me something."

At the mention of his mother, Loki's body stiffens. His hands curl into fists before relaxing once again.

"Don't," he whispers before he takes a deep breath and turns on his heels. "Get some rest before you regret anything you say. It is clearly the alcohol talking out of you."

I ignore him and sit back up on the bed. "She said that you l-"

Loki sprinted towards me and clutched his hand over my mouth, zipping my mouth shut. "Rest or I'll force you to sleep."

I shake my head and bite his inner hand which is sealed with my mouth. He hisses in pain and glares down to me.

"Is it mutual?", I whisper and feel my heart stammer against my chest.

Loki sighs defeatedly. "I think you know the answer to it."

My cheeks warm up as I see him smile a bit but it falters quickly when I ask my next question. "Why did you attack New York when you don't seem like the person to enjoy the killing of innocents?"

Loki narrows his eyes briefly before he smacks his hand on my forehead and mutters something. A wave of emerald mist consumes my sight. I feel how my body sags and the darkness consumes me.

—————————
Author's Note:
Maybe you can tell, but this and the last 2/3 chapters were my favorites.
Was it yours too?