🕊07: Human🕊

I watch as the sniper's gun snaps over to my general location

I watch as the sniper's gun snaps over to my general location. Fortunately, the dark conceals my body from sight. People are afraid to be in the dark, but they don't realize that being in the light only makes you an easy target. If you are shrouded in darkness as your enemies are, it will be easier to take them down. Many soldiers patrol the rather empty parking lot, the street lamps their only source of light. As far as I have seen, their flashlights are tied to their belts and would take a bit of time to turn on.

I flick the black hood over my head, giving my dagger a gentle pat at my belt. My black leather pants keep the chilling air from hitting my legs. The black combat boots that cover my feet are waterproof and won't be too effected by the deep masses of water and oil that litter the lot. My black leather gloves are sure not to leave any finger prints.

My eyes scan the row of snipers, anxiously awaiting their guns to point in the opposite direction of my chosen path. Chishiya stays crouched beside me, eyes staring curiously at me. His Walkman/taser sits idly in his pocket, waiting for action.

"When their guns land on that alcove over there, follow me and don't make a single sound." I whisper, causing him to hesitantly agree to the plan. "I have an idea on how to take all three out before they are aware of our presence." I assure him, rooting the balls of my feet onto the pavement.

As their guns land on the alcove, I can feel the adrenaline flood my veins, empowering my legs so that I run quicker than I have in my entire life. I grin, my feet never even making a sound. The patrolling soldiers remain oblivious to the other players' whereabouts. As of now, everyone has an hour to kill all enemies before the time ends and everyone dies via a laser through their brain.

Chishiya follows behind, his crouch reminding me of a cat as we peer at the snipers across the ledge from which we stay.

"How do you plan to do it?" He asks, his breath hitting my neck from his close proximity.

"Well, if I can aim my dagger just right, and flick my wrist in the right way, it should have a boomerang effect and sever their throats before they can fully comprehend the danger flying their way. I have one chance, and if I fail... we could die." I tell him the truth, meeting his eyes nervously. I fully expected to see disbelief and hesitance in his eyes... Instead I find nothing but trust and confidence in them.

"I trust you, Nisha. Just focus and strike true." He says, his voice soft.

"Here goes..." his eyes don't leave mine, even as I turn them to the three snipers that are in an oddly perfect sync. With the flick of my wrist, the chromium looking dagger flies through the autumn air. It slices through the first sniper's throat, their blood falling to the cement. Their body immediately crumples to the floor, their eyes filled with terror for the unknown face of death. Then, as if they'd seen the most beautiful thing to exist, their eyes filled with a readiness that demands my attention. I feel tears well in the back of my eyes, but fight the urge to choke on my own sorrow.

The second sniper is down, their eyes filled with certainty as they inhale, close their eyes, and exhale their last breath of oxygen. Their limbs go limp, arms falling to their sides at their head, their blood coating their fingers. The gun falls at their side, useless without an owner.

Now the third. They have a look of horror. Their eyes hold a sadness. A loss. Perhaps they have someone back in original Tokyo. A family, even. I hate that I could have not only killed spouses, but parents as well. As their blood oozes from their throat, their eyes meet mine, pleading. They make a last move to kick the gun away from their body. Their face says it all. They weren't ready. They had unfinished business back in the real world. And I ended their chances at finishing their life. They exhale, eyes draining of life as the last tear falls down the side of their temple and into their hairline.

All three snipers are dead. Their collars that held them captive in Borderland clicked and fell from around the baseline of their necks. They make a sickening clink against the cold cement. I shudder, feeling warm tears trickle down my icy cheeks.

"Hey... it gets easier." Chishiya mentions, patting my back as he jumps to their ledge to retrieve my dagger.

"Chess... I don't want it to get easier. The moment I kill and feel nothing, I no longer deserve the right to consider myself a human being." I tell him firmly, gently taking the surprisingly clean weapon from his grasp. I sheath it and jump down to their ledge. I press my lips into a firm line and walk over to the wall that divides their platform from the other side of the lot. I get the dagger again and carve three words with three numbers. Then, a note.

Sniper 1, Sniper 2, and Sniper 3... rest easy, fellow humans. Borderland may have taken our lives... but it will never devour our souls. May the creator guide you into Nirvana.
- Nisha

And with that, I turn to their bloody guns. I sheath the dagger once more and pick up the sniper rifle. I aim at the various soldiers and shoot a bullet into each of their heads. Their collars fall off once they are all dead. Should I find the creator of Borderland, they shall see their life flash before their eyes as they fall from the highest place in Tokyo.

A chime echoes throughout the game arena, announcing to everyone that the traumatizing game has been completed.

"All enemies have been killed by Nisha Volant. All players are rewarded with a three day visa." The voice announces. I look over to Chishiya, knowing that he thinks it's bullshit too.

The white table sits in the middle of the lot. On it rests a card that I will hate until the end of time.

A 3 of hearts.

Gamemaster... wherever you are... I will find you.

And I will end you.