🕊10: Sinister Gaze🕊

I sigh, sitting down across from an angry Niragi

I sigh, sitting down across from an angry Niragi. He stares at me with a questioning gaze, which causes me to smile nervously. I turn my attention to Hatter, who sits at the head of the table. Aguni sits at the end, his face remaining stoic.

"As you all are probably aware... There's a new militant joining the ranks. She'll be attending every meeting and will be helping us fulfill our promise to the people of The Beach." He says, motioning toward me with his arms.

"So you're the girl everyone's been gossiping about..." A woman says, her black hair flowing past her shoulders elegantly. She wears a black dress.

"I am." I don't have a good feeling about this woman... she seems too kind. Her eyes hold a certain evil to them that is uncanny.

"I'm sure we'll get along." She extends her hand in a graceful manner. It's covered by a black silk glove that runs all the way up her elbows.

"As am I." I take her hand, gripping it tightly. I give it a firm shake before releasing it and returning my hand to my lap. She raises her eyebrows at me.

"That's quite the firm handshake you've got there; miss Volant." I only nod and give a slight bow in respect.

"Anyway... I called the meeting because there have been some mishaps." Hatter speaks, gaining everyone's attention again.

"And what are these mishaps?"

"One of our militants has been killed. They–unfortunately–didn't survive the latest game arena." He announces, motioning for Aguni to slide the yellow envelope to him. He does so without hesitating, his eyes never leaving Hatter.

"Is that the one you attended?" The woman with the black gloves asks, her eyes holding a devilish gleam that sets every nerve on end.

"Yes, Mira. It is." He answers.

"It's Miss Kano..." she grumbles, her lips tugging into a frustrated frown.

Chishiya grasps my hand underneath the table, lacing our fingers together. He meets my gaze, warning me that something is off. I'm glad we're on the same page...

"I will now announce the new order." He says gruffly. I wait in anticipation, squeezing his hand subconsciously.

"Chishiya, you will be bumped up to third. Nisha, you're second. I'm the first–obviously–and Aguni; you're the fourth." The ones not mentioned look amongst each other. Mira–Miss Kano glares at me, her eyes showing nothing but strong hatred. I lean away from the table, showing her that I mean no harm.

"What about us?" Niragi scoffs.

"Niragi, you have a more important role. Do not question my authority."

"I only serve Aguni." He scoffs, looking at Hatter with disgust.

"Aguni?" Hatter gazed at his long-time friend.

"I only serve you, Hatter." He bows in submission to his friend. Niragi looks between the two and follows Aguni's actions. I can tell by his posture that he doesn't like Hatter. I don't understand why, but that's something I'll have to speak with him about another time.

Something doesn't sit right with me... And that's Mira Kano. There's something off about that woman... And I'm going to solve it.

"Meeting is closed." Hatter announces, letting the yellow envelope create a heavy thump onto the table. He stands, causing everyone to stand from the highest rank to the lowest rank. Aguni stands last... And he doesn't seem to be happy about that fact.

"That was intense." Kuina sighs as we're leaving the stuffy room.

"Tell me about it. Everyone was acting like a nutcase." Chishiya comments, anything but impressed.

"Who's that Mira woman?" I ask lowly, making sure she's out of hearing range.

"Ah. She's been here since The Beach was first established. It was Hatter and Aguni, then Mira, then Niragi. Those four have something deep going on. I came in last. Then Kuina found us, and I haven't been around anyone else since. Kuina is my go-to person." He explains. "She does seem off, though, doesn't she?"

"Mhm. I didn't want to say anything. But yes, there's something sinister behind her eyes." I answer softly.

"I want to talk to you later. After the celebrating is over," He whispers in my ear.

"Sounds like a plan." I give him a nod.

"You still going to the club?" Kuina asks. Her eyes are hopeful.

"Sure. I'll go." I answer. "Just let me get changed, and I'll meet you down there."

"Alright. Try to hurry. I'm excited to celebrate with you and the others."

༺༻

We get back to the room, and I close the door behind us. Chishiya walks over to his bed and sits down. He lays back, eyes closed as he folds his hands under his head. The hood still has yet to come off. I smile fondly and walk over to my side of the room, sifting through the various clothes I have been given by the militants. I quickly peel my black skinny jeans off and replace my boxers–don't judge me–with black lace underwear. I also slip off my black binder and replace it with a black lace bra. I sigh, scrunching my nose at the red dress in my hands. The full body mirror shows me my reflection. My pale body contrasting nicely with the underwear set.

I shake the negative thoughts away and slip the dress on, examining the way it fits on my body. Thankfully it hides the places that have stretch marks. I swallow thickly, tugging at the hem of the dress. My hair is still in the messy, short style I always have it in. I'm thankful I don't have to do much with it.

I look away from the mirror, feeling uncomfortable with the overly feminine look. I usually don't wear things like this. I only do so whenever I'm going somewhere like a club. I eye the heels next to the bed warily.

"You don't have to wear heels, you know." I jump at Chishiya's low voice.

"W-What? Of course I do... All of the women will be wearing them." I chuckle, sitting down on the comfortable bed. I wish I could just curl up and sleep... but tonight Kuina is waiting for me.

"That doesn't mean you have to." He reminds me. "You can wear a potato sack and you'll still be gorgeous." He compliments, making my cheeks burn in embarrassment again.

"S-Stop that." I huff, tugging the dress down again. It reachs mid-thigh, but feels so uncomfortable. I feel too exposed. I always feel too exposed. I'm more of a modest type of person. I'm not saying that other women can't dress up like this. They're fucking gorgeous doing so. I just don't like doing the same thing.

"You could always... Stay with me." He suggests, turning onto his side and proping his head up with the palm of his hand.

"I can't. I told Kuina I would be there tonight. I'm the one who suggested us all go in the first place." I pause, meeting his eyes in the mirror. "You could always come with me." I offer. He smirks and shakes his head.

"I'd much rather stay here." He answers.

I nod, making sure everything is in place before leaving the room.

The music floods the room, and I find it hard to hear what Kuina is saying.

"What?" I try to listen for her answer, but there's nothing. She suddenly gets up and leaves, and I assume she went to go get a drink. I sigh, watching everyone closely. Niragi enters the club, gun held tightly against his shoulder as he looks around. His eyes drag across many women before landing on me.

I quickly look away, peering into my untouched glass of soda. When I look up, he's headed straight for me.

Tonight's going to be a looong night...