Letters - Ch.6

No one questioned them further about their secret.

Their friends managed to shut down the rumours within good time.

Now it was the 6th of September, a Saturday. Hermione hadn't been able to sleep all night. Knowing the letter was coming made her nervous. Who would she get paired with? Who would she be sharing a dorm with? Would she still stay in this dorm? Will it be announced on the daily prophet?

All these questions were running through her head and she didn't know how to stop them. She heard a door close and looked behind her. She was in the common room, sitting on the floor in front of the fire and in front of the coffee table, her back leaning against it.

She watched Draco glance over at her before he walked over. She turned away again, her eyes on the fire. She heard the couch squeak as he sat down behind her, behind the table.

Silence... but it wasn't unsettling in any way. They'd somehow managed to get to that point after a week. After his friends would leave, she'd sit in the common room as she studied. When he returned from the Slytherin common room, he would sit down on another couch, and just read.

She wondered why he didn't leave, as if her presence didn't bother him. She didn't comment on it, and ignored him. Then nearly every night, they would sit, for 20 minutes in silence, before one of them would leave.

"You're scared"

His voice brought her out of her thoughts. She knew he was talking about the letters. She sighed and pulled her knees up to her chest.

"Aren't you?"

He didn't respond but she knew the answer. He had been in a bad mood ever since they found out. She couldn't blame him. His father had controlled him his whole life and now that he was in Azkaban, the ministry stepped forward.

"Does anyone know?" He asked.

"I didn't tell them"

They went back to silence, both thinking of the letters. They had been thinking of the letters for days. Their friends obviously became anxious, something was coming and they didn't know what to expect.

They heard pecking and their heads snapped towards the window. Hermione was quicker than he was. She shot out of her seat on the floor, jumped over the table, and then to the couch, almost crushing Draco's hand.

"Granger-"

"Shut up" She snapped, running towards the window and throwing it open. She grabbed the letters quickly.

Hermione Granger

Draco Malfoy

Her breath got caught in her throat. This was happening. It was real. She heard shuffling behind her and then one of the letters was snatched from her. Draco turned on his heel, going straight to his room. And she did the same, and silencing it incase it was necessary.

She sat on her bed, and she hesitated. A minute or two passed before she finally gulped and ripped open the letter.

Dear Hermione Granger,

The Wizengamot of the Ministry of Magic have decided to create a law. Our population rates have dropped to the ground because of this war. The ministry didn't notice them as they were preoccupied with fixing the damages of the war.