Pairings - Ch.7

No one had listened. Everyone knew who was paired with who by Monday.

Harry Potter had gotten Ginny Weasley.

Ron Weasley had gotten Lavender Brown.

Neville Longbottom had gotten Pansy Parkinson.

Parvati Patil had gotten Michael Corner.

Padma Patil had gotten Seamus Finnigan.

Dean Thomas had gotten Hannah Abbott.

Theodore Nott had gotten Daphne Greengrass.

Astoria Greengrass had gotten Ernie Macmillan.

But no one had found out that Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger had been paired together.

"Hermione, just tell us who it is. It can't be that bad" Ron told her on Monday morning as they ate breakfast.

Hermione scoffed and Ginny looked at her almost pitifully. "I'm sure it's not as bad as it seems"Ginny assured, reaching across the table and putting her hand over Hermione's.

"Who is it? Cormac McLaggen?" Lavender asked.

Hermione shot a glare her way for even mentioning him and Lavender's face broke into a grin. "It can't be that bad. Look at Neville, he got Parkinson. There can't be worse than that"

"There can be"Hermione mumbled under her breath as she dropped her head into her hands.

Suddenly they aren't asking questions anymore. She glanced up and saw them all staring at Ron. "What did you say?"Ginny questioned.

"Nothing"He grumbled. "Say it again"Hermione said, wondering what had happened. How could she not have heard him.

"You got Zabini didn't you?"

Hermione barked out a laugh, and startled him. "Are you serious? I'm having a mental breakdown and you have to bring up Zabini again?"She snapped.

Ron looked away and she thought maybe he'll feel ashamed but then he spoke again. "Why else would you hide it from us? I already suspected it so it'd prove that I'm right, that you like him"

"Just because you don't mind telling everyone who the ministry has set you up with, doesn't mean I don't"She snapped as she stood. "I did not get Blaise Zabini, so stop bringing him up"She demanded. She grabbed her book bag off the seat and left the great hall without turning back.

"I got Blaise"Luna Lovegood told them as she sat next to Ginny.

—:—:—:—

"I need to take Mr. Malfoy and Ms. Granger from you, Horace. I apologize but I must speak to them" McGonagall was standing in the doorway of their Potions classroom. Everyone turned to face her.

"Please don't tell me there's another law"Pansy Parkinson snapped as Draco stood up from beside her.

"If there is, I'm sure you'll know within good time"McGonagall said, raising an eyebrow at her. Parkinson rolled her eyes and turned back towards her cauldron.

Hermione was already out the door by the time Malfoy had crossed the classroom. They hadn't spoken since she had disarmed him as he and Parkinson tried to duel. They ignored each other. That comfort they had built in the common room during their silence was gone. They could barely stay in the same room together.

"Is something wrong, Professor?" Hermione asked as the door shut behind them. "I'd like us to discuss something in my office- if you don't mind" McGonagall said, looking from Draco to Hermione.