Them - Ch.27

It took Hermione a week to finally get some rest about Viktor Krum. Him and his wife had been spotted while leaving Hogwarts, having been assured safe access to their new home. Though it only caused more questions.

With Viktor gone, however, Draco seemed less threatened. He obviously still denied having been uncomfortable in Krum's presence but he didn't give convincing lies to back it up.

But now a new question has sprung; Who did Hermione Granger get?

She was practically being raided by people in the halls. Some genuinely curious and some furious that she got to keep it a secret. Then there were some who thought she hadn't gotten a partner and offered themselves, though not being single themselves.

And after that one time a guy came up to her while Draco and her were arguing in the hall... Draco had practically assigned Blaise to her as her 'protector', as Blaise put it.

She had confronted him about it the night Blaise had told her. "You can't just send your friend to stalk me all day! And people will think Blaise is my partner and I don't want it to ruin things between him and Luna!"

Draco was lying on the bed, his arms and legs spread out as he stared at the canopy. He had been getting ready to sleep when she had barged in. "I'll have you know that Lovegood was thrilled with the idea. And I don't know what Blaise told you but I didn't tell him to stalk you"

Hermione's grip on the footboard tightened and she glared at him. "You told him to fend off every boy who came near me!"

She watched him raise an eyebrow but he still didn't look at her. "Those weren't my exact words... and I don't know what gave him that impression"

"It doesn't matter! He practically shooed Ernie out of the library when we were studying-"

"You were studying with MacMillan?" He sat up in an instant.

"He's my friend!"

"And why won't anyone suspect you and MacMillan? Why would they suspect you and Blaise but not him?"

"Malfoy-"

"Don't skip around the question, Granger"

She huffed, crossing her arms. "Because me and Ernie have been seen together through out the years. Me and Blaise became friends not too long before the Law was released. It could be suspicious"

"What about Lovegood?"

"They wondered if I got McLaggen! And he already has a partner! They would be suspicious of Blaise, whether Luna is there or not!"

"So-?"

"So, you're going to get your wand in a knot about people thinking I got Blaise and I'll have to deal with it because we just can't out ourselves to the world"

"And why not?" She had accidentally brought up the topic again. They hadn't spoken about the incident ever since it happened last week.

Her defences dropped. Her voice dropped to a whisper. "You know it's not that easy. And there's no point"

He crossed his legs and leaned back against the headboard. He seemed bored, unimpressed. Something in between. He studied her for a second before he spoke. "Come" He gestured in front of him.

"What?"

"Come"

She was taken aback by his sudden change but hesitantly moved around the bed. She slipped off her shoes before she sat down in front of him, closer to the footboard. She watched his lips dug down into a slight frown but figured she had imagined it.